Tuesday, November 15, 2005

You got to try this

After I read about Amar's post about shooting, I was immediately excited on trying it out myself. I guess we all would like to experience the feeling of shooting using a real gun. On googling for an indoor shooting range in the Bellevue- Redmond area, found that there was one shooting range very close to my home. So decided that I should go and try it out as soon as I could. And last weekend was the day I went to the shooting range.

To be very frank, the experience was not anything mind-blowing but I was not disappointed either since that was how much I expected going in. But the fact that you are firing real bullets is enough to have your adrenaline flowing. The one thing that would surprise you is the amount of noise that is generated when a bullet is fired. Even with air muffs on which practically seals off your ears, you can still feel the boom boom sound of the guns going off. The other word we usually related to shooting is recoiling and that was something that was on my mind as I was about to fire my first round (during which my hands were just shivering badly). But it came as a surprise that there was really no such thing called recoiling, reason being the very basic nature of the gun I had selected. May be with a bigger gun, there might be more of recoiling.

The most exciting part of the whole experience is obviously to gauge how good are you when it comes to hitting the target. You can set the target at any distance you want. On top of that, you can even select the target of your choice - you can either have the traditional bulls eye target or the body of a man as the target (like they show in films) (I have heard from my friend that some folks here have OBL's picture pasted on the face of the target)

Anyway, surprisingly I did well as far as hitting the target was concerned. I was able to get most of my shots into the target paper, which in itself is a big achievement for first timers like me. Though I could not hit the bull's eye even once, I was able to hit the circle bordering the same many times. The only downside of the whole shooting experience was the fear factor. We are talking about live, real bullets here and that is the reason for this warranted fear. In a country where incidents like
these are common-place and gun-related crimes are high, it was scary (to say the least) to be inside a shooting range with a bunch of guys with guns in their hand. Even with that kind of a threat, if you are here in the US, you should try this out sometime. May be going to the range sometime in the afternoon on a Sunday will be a good idea since there wont be many guys around. Search for indoor shooting range in Google Local and it should give you the results.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home