Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Thimiru album - Mass music at its best

Had some good expectations about this album. Reasons were two fold - Vishal shares a good rapport with Yuvan and the director of the movie is a debutant & it is my conviction that debutants usually succeed in getting some good output from the music director. And Yuvan doesn’t disappoint a bit, with the album turning out to be a perfect mass entertainer, with all the songs being very catchy in a matter of 2-3 listenings. Now to the songs...

Goppuraane goppuraane- This is my most favorite song of the album. Gangai Amaran's vocals are just too good for this type of a song. Yuvan has done an amazing job of selecting Gangai Amaran to sing for this song. If this song is even remotely picturized well, then it is bound to be a chartbuster. Only grouse is that the song is short, runs only 3 mins 28 seconds. I usually like such kuthu songs and Yuvan is able to come up with such tracks in each album of his. Simply loved this one. Beats are very simple but highly addictive. I wish Yuvan had one more charanam in this song.

Maana madurai - the moment the song starts, I would not be surprised if people start dancing to the beats (even before the song actually starts). Such is the beautiful opening of this song. But I have to be honest in saying that the actual song does not live up to the tremendous prelude with which the song starts. The charanams are actually slightly better than the pallavi portion. Overall, another instantly likeable dance number.

Kattikko - Most might say this to be the best song in the album. The vocals involved are completely different. It reminded me of the 'Aattamaa therottamaa' song from Captain Prabhakaran.

Money money - This is Yuvan's hip-hop number of the album. The song is good to hear but somehow I did not like the rap portion of the song. But I loved everything else about the song, particularly the way the song ends. The loop/ beats used in the song reminds us of the ‘Erimalai naane’ song from Kanda Naal Mudhal.

Thithikkira vayasu - Another instantly catchy song. I am amazed at the manner how Yuvan comes up with these instantly catchy songs. The tune and the arrangement all have a very curious feel to it. Not a great song by any means but definitely hummable material. My second favorite number of the album.

Overall, another impressive album from Yuvan. For a movie with a budding star with a lot of potential and a debutant director, Yuvan has provided an awesome album. I like the direction that Yuvan is going, while shaping his career. Except for Selvaraghavan (& a Vasanth here & Ameer there), he is carefully avoiding any big name stars and only works with younger heroes and promising directors. While albums like Thimiru will definitely make him more popular among the youth and further consolidate his position as the numero uno among the Tamil film music directors, I would love to see albums like Pudhupettai that showcase his talent & capability to provide quality music, atleast once a year. Like always, Yuvan rocks, totally!! I would rate this album to be better than both Vallavan and Kedi.

6 Comments:

Blogger P.S. Suresh Kumar said...

Nice revu. haven't heard the album yet but i don't want another commercial album from Yuvan. I may listen to the songs but i will not buy the CD. I am waiting for Ammer's Paruthiveeran and Vasanth's Satham Podathey. Do listen to "By 2" by Vijay Antony. It has got good melodies.

Smile
Sureshkumar

1:28 AM, July 26, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Yeah Judge, I loved this album, right from the first hearing. And like you said, I too loved this better than both Kedi. It was the kuthu songs that appealed to me first but now I am getting addicted to the Yuvan style songs as well. With a debutant director, I wish the movie does well at the BO. In that case, I am sure these songs will be big time hits.

8:05 AM, July 26, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Havent heard that song from Andhapuram, Sanjeevi kumar. Will try to listen to it when I get a chance. Does anybody else have an answer to his question?

8:15 AM, July 26, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

True Sureshkumar. But I think Yuvan is trying to balance his output between commercial and quality music. Say, like 4 commercial albums and 2 quality albums a year. Like you, I too am expecting Paruthiveeran and Satham Podaathey, very eagerly.

I did read your By2 review. I too liked almost all the songs. The 'Unnai Paartha' and 'Azhagaa Azhagaa' songs are my picks.

8:18 AM, July 26, 2006  
Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

Oh..I too expect the same Filbert. Now vishal is becoming a good star in actions..hope his thimiru will ring at BO also.

Really your reviews are good..

9:19 AM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Thanks Karthik. About Vishali - yeah, I really like that guy. There is this distinct sincerity in whatever he does which instantly endears him to everybody.

1:48 PM, July 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home