Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Aadavari Maataluku Ardhale Verule songs - Yuvan in amazing form

Though it is said that "Music does not know language", I have always found it difficult to enjoy songs from languages that I do not understand. It is not very often that songs from a language that you can not speak and that you can not understand impress you. But an album from the Yuvan - Selvaraghavan combination is always special and definitely has the track record and expectation around it to make you do that. The only Telugu songs that I have listened to before are songs from Anukokunda Oka Roju (that was mainly bcos I simply loved the movie), Bommarillu (when my Telugu friend kept playing the CD in an endless loop in one of our road trips) and of late the incredible Maayeraa from Sainikudu (If you have not listened to this song, please do. Harris has done magic in that song with SPB singing, well, just like only SPB can).

After both Senthil and Sanjeevi egged me on to listen to this album, I was still skeptical and not sure what to expect when listening to songs from a language that I can't understand. But one listen to the songs, all my fears were allayed and I was actually thanking them both as I was immensely enjoying the songs and feeling good about my decision to heed to their suggestion. Now, to the songs in the AMAV album:

Allantha Doorala is amazing. If there is a song featuring SPB in Yuvan's score, then I develop a special liking for that song even before I listen to the song. And when the song is so magical and exceeds your expectations, then it ought to be the pick of the album for me. If you are a fan of the Maestro's uncomplicated but addicting music, then this one is for you. The interludes are amazing in this one. Yuvan brings back memories of his dad in good measure.

Cheli chamaku is awesome. This is a song which does not even require a second listening for you to like. Though the tune has a 'heard before' feel to it, I think the place where Yuvan scores is in his choice of the singers. Adnan Saami and Anushka both just suck you in. Amazing stuff. If SPB had not sung the previous song, this would have been easily the pick of the album.

Yemaindhi Ee Velaa - The first time in a long while that I am actually liking a song sung by Udit Narayanan. The flute piece with which the song ends is just so lilting. Oh Baby - starts off very promisingly with the 'Oh Baby' chorus but starts sounding ordinary as the pallavi starts. But the charanam makes up for it and thus the charanam along with the 'Oh Baby' part of the song make you want to listen to the song more and more. Naa manasuki - another gem of a melody with a foot-taping charanam. Karthik's voice is just soothing. This is a typical Yuvan composition and you can feel that he enjoyed scoring this one. Manasa manninchamma - The beats and tempo are the highlights of this song.

Overall, Yuvan and Selvaraghavan have come up with another winner of a soundtrack. Usually each one of us have the least favorite song when it comes to any album but the fact that I do not have one for this album and can not skip any song when I play all the songs in the album is testimony to the fact that this is an album of very high quality. Though the album does not have much in terms of novelty or freshness of sounds (something that Pudhupettai had in loads and loads and which I still consider the best Tamil album to have come out in the last few years), it is a highly enjoyable and instantly addictive album. I would be placing this album on par with this combo's 7/G Rainbow colony bcos almost all the songs are so melodious and very catchy. Yuvan and Selva prove that you don't need to understand the language to enjoy and relish the music and Selvaraghvan, on his part, once again proves that he is the best when it comes to extracting the best out of Yuvan. Clearly, Yuvan's best of the year so far but I am a greedy fan and hence hoping for greater things (read Satham Podaathey, Kannamoochi Yaenadaa, Idhu Maalai Nerathu Mayakkam, Billa 2007) to come.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aah, finally. I guessed it right when i listened to this album- this will hit the bull's eye for sure.

Filby, which is your favorite in this soundtrack. For me, it's Yemaindhi Ee Vela. I usually get addicted to fast, peppy numbers but thanks to Udit's soulful rendition, I got hooked to this song.

Next comes Cheli Chamakku. Overall, an album which should go into all music lovers' collection (irrespective of whose fan they are)

P.S:Even while typing this comment, I m listening to AMAV songs only. (Sorry for this long comment)

6:09 PM, April 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Filbert,
Wonderful post. Listen to Munna & Jagadam when you have time. What do you think of "Uppu kallu" song by Bombay Jayashree.

12:28 AM, April 26, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Very true, Senthil. This is one of those rare albums where there can be no 2 opinions and should definitely go into every music lover's collection. Cool, breezy songs. Like I had said, I am addict of SPB's voice and hence Allantha Dhoorala is my favorite. Cheli chamakku comes a close second. And no problem about the long comment. I, in fact, welcome long comments :)

11:41 AM, April 26, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Shree. Will give them a listen. Didn't read good reviews about Munna and hence didn't listen to it. But I am guessing HJ will re-use the tunes in his upcoming Tamil albums. Not listened to the Bombay Jayashree song either but since Dhina comes up with some good numbers now and then (like in Pori), I will surely listen to it.

11:51 AM, April 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice review filbert,

I too liked Cheli chamakku along with the Ghazal-ish Yamainthi ee vela and andhari song.

4:45 AM, April 29, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Thanks for the comment, Sanjeevi. Yeah, Cheli Chamakku is awesome. Only today, I read an interview of Selvaraghavan in Rediff where he says that he wanted the music of the film to be simple but soul-searching and I think that is what Yuvan has exactly delivered.

1:59 PM, April 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home