Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Playlist series - Miscellaneous MDs - 90s songs

Continuing the Miscellaneous MDs playlist series here. I had posted my 'Miscellaneous MDs - New songs playlist' which included songs that were released post-2000 and whose music directors did not include one of Ilaiyaraja, ARR,YSR, Karthik Raja, Harris Jeyaraj, Vidya Sagar, Deva and T.Rajender. This not-so-new songs playlist consists of a list of songs which were released between 1990 and 2000 and which were composed by MDs who too do not fall into the list above. And as with all the playlist series in my iPod, this playlist too should contain only that many number of songs that will fit in a single audio CD.

1) Chandirane sooriyane from Amaran (Both SPB & Jesudoss have sung this song. But the one by Jesudoss is my pick)
2) Vasanthame arugil vaa from Amaran (actually all songs from Amaran are good. But these two IMO have stood the test of time and some haunting composition from Adityan)

3) Endha pennilum illaadha ondru from Captain Magal (this song came out when Kushboo was at her peak and the lyrics of the song became as famous as the song itself. Music by Hamsalekha)4) Poonkuyil paadinaal from Nammavar (Mahesh's penchant for melody shows here as this is one of the very best songs composed by MDs not in the above list)
5) Minnal oru kodi from VIP (this has Rahman written all over it and the fact that this was composed by Ranjit Bharot, Rahman's assistant does not come as a surprise. It's a sad thing that he decided not to compose albums after this one)
6) Yaen penn endru from Love Today (this again is a very beautiful melody with some very good lyrics. This one has music by Siva)
7) Vennila from Sundarapurushan (This is probably one song no one would have heard that much but somehow, from the very first time I listened to it, I started liking it. The best part about the song is the way in which the song starts where different instruments keep joining the beats as time progresses and the actual song does not until more than a minute has passed. Music by Sirpi)
8) Oyilaa paadum paattula from Seevalapperi Paandi (one of the few songs that impressed me on the first hearing)
9) Kizhakku sevakkaiyile from Seevalapperi Paandi (I personally feel that Seevalapperi Paandi & Amaran are the 2 best efforts of Adityan and this song should say why so)
10) Putham pudhu malare from Amaravathi (a very good melody sung by the inimitable SPB. Music by Bala Bharathi)
11) Taj Mahal from Amaravathi (another great song from Ajith's debut movie)
12) Unnai thotta thendral ondru from Thalaivaasal (Though Thalaivaasal was an album full of good songs, this one is my favorite. There are a couple of bit songs that are good too but I am not sure if they can make it to this list. Music again by Bala Bharathi)
13) Azhagoviyam from Rojamalare (this is another song that many of you might not heard much. This is from a Murali movie called Rojamalare. There is another good song in this movie too but I can't recall that. Music by Adityan again)
14) Kaadhal kaditham from Cheran Pandian (another unheard of number from the movie Cheran Pandian. though not a great song by any means, I felt that this song still deserves a place in this list. Music by Soundaryan)
15) Vannam konda vennilave from Sigaram (no points for guessing the presence of this song in this list)
16) Agaram ippo sigaram from Sigaram (listening to the album Sigaram makes you wonder why SPB did not continue scoring music. All the songs are very good but these 2 stand out)

I am sure you will have some songs to add on to this list. Go ahead and leave them in the comments section.

8 Comments:

Blogger Subha Srini said...

Have you heard the number "Solladhe solla solladhe" sung by Hariharan and Chitra from the movie "Sollamale". Hariharan's voice is too good especially when he touches the higher chords. I dont remember the MD's name but am sure it is not one of those mentioned in your list.

6:29 AM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

I think I have heard about the song (may be watched it once or twice on TV) but not really listened to it. Will listen to it soon.

8:26 AM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Balaji said...

nice list filbert. and i've heard quite a few of them. think i havent heard only the ones from 'sollamale' and 'cheran pandian'.

hv u hrd 'kuyil paatu kekkudha' from 'vaimaye vellum'? i saw it on sun tv and was hooked. turns out quite a few people knew which film it was from. though it turns out it was a lift, i think its good enuf to go on the list :)

8:38 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Balaji said...

chk out this post on the song...

8:38 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Balaji,

I think I actually read that post when you posted it in August but since I didn't know the song, didn't try to dig deep about it. Anyway, I will listen to that song too, in addition to the one from 'Sollamale'.

12:34 PM, January 12, 2006  
Blogger amna said...

If anyone has the song 'kuyil paattu kekkuthe' from vaimaye vellum, pls pls send it to me at naagu.v@gmail.com.

12:53 AM, August 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After a random search I stumbled on your article and searched my DB and found that I didnt have Kathal Kaditham from Cheran Pandiyan.

If you are ok with sending me the song - please do comment on this and I shall send you my email.

If not nevertheless I still enjoyed your post even though I think that Seevalaperippandi songs are much better creations than any of the Amaran songs.

10:40 AM, February 21, 2007  
Blogger manipayal said...

most of the songs are good but my pick of them is "Entha Pennilum Illadha Onru" by SPB from Captain Magal.Simply marvellous and if SPB himself can match another song of that calibre it is the song "moongilile paatisaikkum" MD -TR. simply amazing. If I can give top 50 songs of SPB(more difficult than passing C.A,I know)these two song will be in that list

5:16 AM, June 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home