Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Trivia Challenge At Work

Here at work, we follow this agile methodology in software development where we have 2 week iterations. We will have small modules (which are called stories) to be completed (developed & tested) every 2 weeks. And at the end of the 2nd week, we have this meeting called iteration meeting where we discuss how the past iteration went and also about the tasks for the new iteration ahead. Since this meeting usually lasts a good 2-2.5 hours and people were getting bored/ tired with too much information overload, someone in the team suggested that we have a trivia game to make the meeting more lively and interesting. Everyone was for it (as expected) and we started doing it some 6 iterations back.

So, here is what we decided -

1) Each iteration, one person in the team will be responsible for coming up with some trivia questions.
2) All the questions in a trivia quiz should deal with one particular topic.
3) And this topic should be disclosed to the rest of the team atleast 1 iteration earlier. Like for example, the topic for the last iteration meeting was the Soccer World Cup and that was revealed to us a good 3 weeks before.
4) Since we have around 20 members in the team, we will divide ourselves into 5 groups of 4 members each.
5) And for each correct answer, each member of that particular team will get a cookie or a chocolate or something similar that the quiz master brings.

6) We will have a question every 15 mins or so.

We have had this for 6 iterations now and needless to say the enthusiasm level of the team has increased bcos of this trivia challenge. The topics of the past 6 iterations have been the following - sitcoms, Seattle, Boston marathon (bcos one of our team members participated in the Boston marathon), Olympics, geography (I will post the questions of this one in a separate post) and soccer world cup (questions from my post 2 weeks back were from this trivia quiz).

So, that brings me to the reason for this post. I am thinking of volunteering to be the trivia quiz master for an upcoming iteration. But before I do that, I wanted to have a topic ready and also some questions to go along with it. The first topic that came to my mind was Sports (since it has not been done yet and also since it is my most favorite one) but some guys here in my team are so good at that they will crack any trivia you throw at them whereas the same can not be said about the girls in the team, who are not too much into sports. So, dropped that topic. The next one which sprung to my mind was India (what else). That would be an interesting option since only myself & one other guy in our team are from India and I can have that guy not open his mouth during the trivia.

But coming up with a list of questions for this one is a very tough task bcos the questions should neither be too difficult to answer nor too easy to answer. Like, say a question like, What is the capital city of India? would be too easy (some might still say Bombay, though) whereas a question like What is the name of India's equivalent of White House? would be too tough. So, I am basically looking for questions and I need you guys' help in that. One useful tip in coming up with questions is that it would be better if the answer to a question is a number, so that if nobody knows the answer (which would be the case most of the times), then the team with the closest number to the correct answer can be declared winner and thereby we can have a winner for each question. So, here are some of the questions that I have in my mind right now:

- What is the national language of India?
- How many states does India have?
- List the name of 5 cities in India.
- How big is the Indian population?
- What is the rank of India in the list of largest countries in the world?

I am sure you guys can think of similar questions. Looking forward to your help...

8 Comments:

Blogger மீனாக்ஸ் | Meenaks said...

I hope the answer to the first question is not Hindi.

9:11 PM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

ennappa filbert, eppadi ellam question ketta paathi pEr nammala Era iranga pakkuraanGka ppa..

BTW, my questions are..

And if you want more questions like this, reach RAADAN..they have lot questions for their Thanga vettai..

And for trivia session on India, my suggestions as Questions

1. Which City is called as Manchester of India
2. Which is longest river in India?
3. One of the 7 wonders in India
4. Some Tourist places in India
5. National game of India
6. famous food item
7. Sachin Tendulkar is famous for
8. Famous lady prime minister of India
9. Father of the Nation
10. Famous saint from India, Visted Chicago

Filbert, intha questions pothuma..innum konjam venuma

9:44 PM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Interesting question, Senior. I am sure many will find it difficult to tell more than 1 difference. I didnt know many of them myself. Question noted down.

1:44 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Meenakshi, Sorry about that question. I had listed that question in my eagerness to play to the crowds here, most of them who are of the idea that India has a national language and it is Hindi. That question duly removed :)

1:50 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Neenga solradhu correct thaan, Karthik. Aanaa enna panna? Inga irukkavangalukku Thanga Vettai level-kku thaan questions kaekkanum. Anyway, most of your questions are apt to be asked to the crowd here. Will come up with a post once I am done with the trivia.

1:53 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Sesh, great suggestion. I dont know how I missed that one. But there is a tricky part to that question - I have already sung Sachin's praises (& showed his pictures) to some members of the team and some of them have even googled to read more about him.

1:56 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Though 'Guess the personality' is a good suggestion, I am not sure how many Indian personalities folks here might know, Prasanna. The only person I can think of is Gandhiji.

2:50 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Yeah Prasanna, Guess the personality would work if it were to cover the people in all the spheres that you have mentioned. But I am trying to stick with everything related to India.

3:39 PM, June 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home