Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Road trip to Mount Rushmore

Like I had mentioned in my earlier post, I had been to Mount Rushmore on a road trip this past weekend. The first reaction from everyone at work when I mentioned to them that I am going on a road trip to Mount Rushmore on a 3 day weekend was "Are you crazy?". But I just couldn’t get why they felt that way. I told them, since there is nothing else to see over there, all we are going to do is to drive there, see the monument and then start driving back. As simple as that :)



Anyway, here are some random talking points from the trip:

1) These are some numbers associated with the trip:

Distance traveled - 2492 miles (I was wondering how much this would have meant if I had done this drive in India. And what I found out was amazing? The distance between Kanyakumari and Sri Nagar is 3617 kms, which is still less than what we drove)
Gasoline consumed - 160 gallons
States driven through - 5 (Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota)
Monuments seen - Mount Rushmore & Devil's tower
Total duration of the trip - 56 hours
Time spent inside the vehicle - 38 hours

2) One thing that was too glaring to miss was the profiling of cars that we saw on the roads in the 5 different states. Except for Washington where almost 2 out of 3 cars are either Japanese or Korean make, the only cars we saw in the other 4 states were domestic cars. I could have easily counted with my hands, the number of Hondas and Toyotas on the roads in states like Montana and Wyoming. All I could see was Buicks, Chryslers, Dodge and Chevy’s. No wonder these are hard-core red states when it comes to voting.

3) Timeline of the trip

Friday, 11pm - Leave Seattle
Saturday, 5pm - Reach Mount Rushmore
Sunday, 11am - Leave Mount Rushmore
Monday, 7am - Reach Seattle

4) Montana was the toughest state to drive through bcos of the sheer breadth of the state. It is just so huge that the total number of miles driven through the state was 550 - almost half of the total distance between Seattle & Mt. Rushmore. Having to cover that long a distance also means this was the most boring state to drive through too. We would go 20-40 miles together before we would see any town of some decent size. As a testimony to how huge this state is, there were places where the signs on the freeway that said “Next Rest Area After 137 miles”!!

5) Prior to entering the memorial, I was having a bet with my friend as to whether we will see atleast 10 desis in the monument. I was betting for it and he was against it. Finally, my friend lost pretty badly, as the number of desis we came across would have been easily 100 :)

6) Now for some facts about the monument:

- there are 4 Presidents whose faces have been sculpted in the mountains.
- they are George Washington (1st), Thomas Jefferson (3rd), Abraham Lincoln (16th) and Theodore Roosevelt (26th)
- the construction of these statues took 14 years, from 1927 to 1941.
- almost 400 workers toiled to bring this monument to life and the best part was that there were no fatal accidents during the construction of these statues.
- the chief sculptor, Gutzon Borglum, didn’t live to see the finished product. He died 7 months before the completion date and it was left to his son to give the finishing touches.
- there is NO plan to add more Presidents faces to the monument.

7) One tip that I can offer if you are planning to visit Mount Rushmore – while you are on your way to the mountain, there are couple of points (a good 3-4 miles from the actual destination) where you will get a glimpse of the mountain & its faces. I would advise you not to take a peek at the mountain from that point. Reason being, it will kind of dampen your expectations bcos the faces appear too small from that distance. My friend, for example, went “Did we come all the way to see this?”. But his opinion changed once he saw the mountain from up-close. Though in the larger picture, your opinion will be one of awe & admiration, that one moment when you see the mountain from a distance will lessen your experience of enjoying the spectacle, that little bit.

8) We also visited this place called Devil's Tower on our way back from Rushmore. When I was researching for places to visit in that area, a friend at work suggested I stop over at this place in Wyoming bcos this is pretty much on our way. Since I was already looking for places to visit since it shouldn’t be such that we drove all the way from Seattle just to see the mountain, I readily agreed. Looks like this is the biggest attraction of that state (the license plates of that state carried its picture) and also it has been proclaimed as America’s first national monument. This tower was actually pretty cool. It looks like this huge pillar, right in the middle of the desert. There is a trail around the tower which gives amazing views of the pillar. It was also so exciting to see climbers all along the mountain.




9) Contrary to my expectations, I did not come across one stretch of dry area throughout the trip. I was expecting something like a Arizona kind of terrain but it was a pleasant surprise to see lush green mountains and dunes, all the way. It was only in South Dakota it was beginning to get dry but we reached our destination, a mere 50 miles driving into the state.

10) This long a drive guarantees one thing - speeding tickets :) My friend was cruising at 110 mph during a stretch in Montana, but it was not then he got a ticket. Instead, he was stopped when he was speeding at 85 mph on a 65 limit zone. How funny & ironic. And before long, it was my turn to be pulled over. But I fared marginally better, in the sense that I was pulled over for driving at 80 mph on a 75 mph limit zone. I was let off with a warning. So, after that we were joking around, saying it was not a question of if anymore, but it was a question of when and who will be getting the next ticket :) But thankfully, we did not get any after that.

About the drive - to say that the drive was tiring would be a gross understatement. When we got back to Seattle on Monday morning, we didn’t know what hit us and we hit the bed. Literally, each and every part of the body was paining and I can still feel the pain, as I type this. Another highlight of the trip - the SUV we had rented did not have cruise control. Though this was kind of a blessing in disguise in that it helped us stay awake at the wheel, the unimaginable distance covered during the trip warranted a vehicle with cruise control.

And to the final question, was it worth it? I will have to say NO. With due respect to the magnitude of the effort that has gone into making these statues & the historical relevance of the same & the satisfaction it gives of having visited one of the most significant landmarks in the US, I still feel that the trip was not worth the wear & tear that we had to put our bodies through, driving the whole distance. May be, if you are within a 6-10 hours drive at most, this is a definitely a must-see place. But for folks like me from Seattle, a half-hearted NO would be the answer.

13 Comments:

Blogger Filbert said...

Flight journey would have been so much better, Prasanna. But there were couple of reasons why we didn't go for that - 1) the obvious reason of expensive flight tickets and 2) this road trip has been my dream for a while.

10:56 AM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger Preethi said...

Filby, seriously 38 hrs ellam ungaluku over a therele? Why wud u even plan such a trip? Edho, atleast unge rombe naal asai nerai veriduchu...so there's some use from the trip. A detailed & nice post abt Mount Rushmore...good one!

11:17 AM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger Balaji said...

we did a day trip - about 7 hrs each way from denver. so it was fun and well worth it. only problem was we couldn't stop anywhere else! we went thro wyoming too. i remember stopping at a gas station and the guy said devil's tower was about 2 hrs away. was tempted but couldn't spare 4 hrs :( but thats a great looking pic of it! there were some caves real close to rushmore but they were closed too by the time we went there...

at a time like this, the scariest part of those statistics is the 160 gallons of gas :)

ps: i'm sure u took a lot more pics. have u uploaded them to any online album? would luv to get a link :)

7:15 PM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Exactly Preethi. Didnt realize the magnitude of the drive I was going to do until I started the drive for the trip. Many a time we it happened that it would seem as though we have driven for an eternity but then we would realize that we had not even covered half of our distance. But overall, I am happy that one of my long time wishes was fulfilled.

11:24 AM, June 02, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Thalaivar style-la sollanum-naa, it was too too much thaan :) I was happy when I found that the distance I had driven was more than the distance between Kanyakumari & Kashmir. But I did have lot of fun, Sesh. So I will do it again, may be sometime next year.

11:29 AM, June 02, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Romir, that episode alone is big enough to warrant a seperate post. So, will surely write about it, pretty soon.

11:32 AM, June 02, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Balaji, I guess even your trip would have tedious, bcos driving 7 hours each way in a day trip would have been tiring. For us, we got some well-deserved break, after seeing the moutain, when we checked into hotel. That certainly helped.

You rightly said about the gas. 160 gallons was crazy. Driving a GMC Envoy didnt help either. But since we were 4, the expenses per head were kind of in reasonable levels. About the photos - we havent got the photos from one of my friends who brought this digital SLR camera. Waiting to get the pictures from him. Will surely put up a link here, once I upload them to my site.

11:35 AM, June 02, 2006  
Blogger Audra said...

What a great trip! We are going to visit these two monuments this summer also. However, we are driving from New York, and taking a much longer amount of time to get to them. Plus we will be towing our travel trailer and camping. We'll also visit many other national parks and monuments on our journey, including Yellowstone and The Grand Canyon. If you want to follow our trip, feel free to check out my blog.

5:34 PM, June 08, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Hello Audra, Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. But what you guys are doing will be awesome - from New York to South Nevada, it will be an amazing experience. I sure will follow your trip in your blog. Hopefully you should get some time to update your blog atleast once a week.

8:31 AM, June 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is so musch more to do and see but it would have taken you a lot more time! The Americans have alot of history out in that area you know.

9:02 PM, March 26, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, wow, wow! What an amazing effort. I've been trying to convince my wife to do this from Vancouver, BC... I don't think I'll show her your blog though!
You say "it wasn't worth it", but would you say you "regret it"?
Reuben

7:17 PM, May 12, 2010  
Blogger Filbert said...

Hi Reub,

Thanks for the comment.

Coming to your question - 3 years removed from that road trip, if I were given a chance to do it again, I will gladly do it. If you are a fan of driving long distances, then the trip is even worth it. But regret? Nah... this is a trip that I will cherish.

7:34 PM, May 12, 2010  
Anonymous Reub said...

Hey dude...
I'm gonna do this! Canada's Labour Day weekend is the first weekend in September. My wife and I, and two friends, are going to do the trip across three days.
I remembered about your blog because my wife stumbled upon it when she was researching it all yourself! (Obviously my goal to not show her didn't work!!!)
Anyway - thanks for your inspiration... can't wait to get it done!
If you wanna follow our progress, feel free to add me on Facebook. Reuben Bradley - my profile has me wearing a Vancouver Canucks jersey.

4:42 PM, August 22, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home