Saturday, February 10, 2007

Maestro random playlist

There are so many things that are hard in life. But if you ask me, what is the hardest thing in life, I would say that it is the hardest to come up with a set of audio CDs of Ilaiyaraja's collections. Seriously, I have tried it so many times in so many different ways and still havent come up with a solid collection of CDs yet. During times like that when I couldn't come to a decision on what I wanted, I would just randomly pick up some songs to burn a CD and even that CD would be like treasure, full of amazing songs.

I have tried to come up with collections like Maestro with different actors, different directors, different kind of movies. But the problem is say, if you try to come up with a CD of Maestro with Thalaivar, there are just too many good songs in the list, that you will probably end up with 3-4 CDs for just that combination.

Anyway, after thinking in vain for a long time, I just decided to come up with a CD of relatively unknown songs from the Maestro. So, I imposed the following conditions for myself:

1) The movies should have been released somewhere between the late 80s and early 90s.
2) The songs should fit into a single 80-min CD
3) The songs shall not be very popular :)
4) The songs shall not be from the following movies:

movies directed by - Mani Rathnam, Balu Mahendra, Bharathiraja, KB, Fazil, R.K.Selvamani, Raj Kiran, P. Vasu, R.V.Udhaya Kumar, Nasser, Priyadharshan
movies starring - Thalaivar, Kamal, Ramarajan
movies - Devadhai, Time, Raasaiyya, Poomani, Poovarasan, Mounam Sammadham

So, here goes my list based on the above conditions:

1) Kungumam manjalukku from Enga Mudhalaali - This song used to be telecast so many times in DD those days, that I vividly remember almost the whole song even now
2) Adho andha nadhiyoram from Ezhai Jaadhi - Besides the fiesty Liakat Ali Khan dialogues & Jayapradha, this movie is also remembered for this awesome song.
3) Manjal poosum from Sakkarai thevan - One obscure Vijayakanth movie where all the songs were popular back then
4) Maane maragathame from Enga Thambi - Another obscure Prashanth movie with super-hit songs.
5) Muthumani muthumani from Adharmam - This movie was actually a good movie but this song is what stood out
6) Ival oru ilankuruvi from Bramma - One of my friends who is a big Ilaiyaraja fan always says that this is one of his most favorite Ilaiyaraja song
7) Kaadhoram lolaakku from Chinna Maappillai - This Sandhanabarathi directed movie is a laugh riot but almost all the songs were hummable
8) Ninaikkindra paadhaiyil from Aathma - Kannaale kaadhal kavidhai from this movie is the more popular song but I love this song equally
9) Oru kola kili sonnadhe from Pon vilangu - Vaguely remember this movie as being good but I have carried this song in my heart ever since
10) Indha maamanoda manasu from Uthama Raasa - A song from one of those umpteen Prabhu-Kushboo starrers but I simply loved this song
11) Ninaitha varum kaettu from Kaadhal Rojaave - I don't even know if this movie was ever released but the songs became hugely popular
12) Vaa Kaathirukka neramillai from Kaathirukka Neramillai - I remember this Karthik movie for Sivaranjani who was the heroine :) Songs were very good, as usual
13) Manikkuyil isaikkudhadi from Thanga Manasukkaaran - this one from the Junior Mike Mohan movie
14) Oru mandhaarappoo from Chinna Jameen - A movie known again for all the wrong reasons but Mottai again had done his job admirably well
15) Mayilaadum thoppil from Chinna Pasanga Naanga -Enna manamulla ponnu innu was the more popular song from the movie but this song is the one which stands out
16) Kaattru poovai from I Love India - This much-hyped Sarath Kumar movie ended up being a dud but again, the songs were awesome.

So, there goes my list. Have I missed out any good song from any good movie during that time? Let me know...

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Bharani said...

Nice collection filbert...Reserving one CD for me :)

There is a movie called Raasa Magan, directed by Manivannan, starring prashant and sivaranjani...

kettu paarunga...there are 3 superb songs...2 are extremely superb :)

7:39 AM, February 11, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Kandippaa ungalukku oru copy undu, Bharani :) The name Raasa Magan sounds very familiar. Mottai has always composed great music for Manivannan and so I am sure the songs would have been good. Let me dig into that and if I find the mp3s, it would be great.

9:23 PM, February 11, 2007  
Blogger Bharani said...

I think www.musicplug.in is having the songs of that movie.

9:14 AM, February 12, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Actually, I was able to download 3 songs from Coolgoose, after seeing your comment. And yeah, I was able to identify 2 of the songs - Kaathirundhen thaniye and Anju Gajam Kaanchipattu. The former is pretty impressive. I would have included that in the list if I had known this earlier :)

1:05 PM, February 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Filby,

"Indha maamanoda manasu" is not from Thambithurai. Its "Paandithurai".

P.S: Not nitpicking. Just wanted to let you know.

P.P.S: Most of the songs are really popular, I guess.

8:50 AM, February 14, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Thanks for the correction, Senthil. I knew that the movie ended with Thurai but wasn't very sure on which one of the two it was from. No probs about nitpicking :) About the songs being popular - On an average, I would say 10 out of these 16 songs are popular. But I am sure the familiar songs differ from person to person. A song that you find it familiar might not be familiar to others. So, on the whole, I was saying that these were relatively unknown songs :)

12:27 PM, February 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Filbert and senthil ...i guess the song "Indha maamanoda manasu" is from the movie called "Uthamaraasa" in which prabhu is seen with kudumi and stuffs in the first half of the movie....however the film "pandithurai" also has a beautiful duet song "Kaanakarunguyilae kachaeriku vaa vaa.."..a gud melody...please do correctme if i am wrong.

8:20 PM, February 14, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Narendra,
I guess you are right. After a bit of googling, found this link in the TFM page site where it says that this song is from the movie Uthama Raasa:

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=6819&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

And the hubber has also listed a long list of such songs form the early 90s.

Anyway, I think the reason for all these confusions, is bcos of the fact that Prabhu & Kushboo acted in way too many movies together :)

10:40 AM, February 15, 2007  
Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

Filbert,

Great collections of Ilaiyara and mostly from the same period.

I do have a collection of illayaraja songs. I think I dont have only 550 songs of illaiyaraja. If you want anything, let me know Filbert!

I will send those to you!

7:55 AM, February 16, 2007  
Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

And whatever you have listed are fav of mine in that genre :-)

Esp. maamanoda manasu from uththamarasa and Manikkuyil isaikkudhadi from Thanga Manasukkaaran . I liked these songs very much but I dont know why.. :-)

7:57 AM, February 16, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Thanks for the offer, Karthik. I remember reading your blogpost about your collection of Ilaiyaraja's mp3 songs. I actually need some complete albums. Will contact you soon, with my list.

The Maamanoda manasu song somehow has been one of my evergreen songs from the Maestro. Simply tune but is bound to stay in our hearts forever. Simply, nobody can come near the Maestro in churning out songs like that.

10:58 AM, February 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Filbert,

The CD collections you are creating, do you most of the time use them in ur car? If thats the case, I would suggest you to get a Car MP3 player with USB stick support. It makes ur life easier and you can always have more than the list of songs you have provided. It is simple and easy too)

And I think Bramma was directed by P Vasu. I thought u wanna skip P Vasu movies :)

To add to your list:
1. thuLLi thirnthathoru kAlam (SPB) - endrum anbudan
2. thUri thUri manathil oru (SPB, Shoba) - innisai mazhai
3. manggai nI mAnggani (Illaiyaraja, SN Surender) - innisai mazhai
4. kAlam iLavEnil kAlam (2 version) - vidinchA kalyANam

Hmm... immediateA evlO thAn thOnuthu... appuRam post pandREn, what ever I come up with...

10:49 PM, February 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Filby,

I forgot to add one more song,,,"Oru kaadhal devathai" from Karthik-Revathi starrer "Ithaya Thamarai". A very good melody...

7:49 AM, February 19, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Rathin, thanks for the suggestion. But for some reason, I have never been a fan of these mp3 players. That is the reason I try to restrict my playlist to a single audio CD. The CDs are for both my player by my bedside and also for my car.

And you are right about Bramma being P.Vasu's film. I just now remembered it.

Among the songs you have suggested, you know what - I thought much about adding Dhoori dhoori song. But since I couldn't find any song in the current list for it to displace, I did not add it. But now that we have come to know that Bramma is a P.Vasu film, I guess I can substitute that song with this one.

Please do post other songs whenever you can think of any.

5:06 PM, February 19, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Senthil,

That is one of my most favorite songs of all-time but you will be surprised to know who the MD is. It is not by the Maestro but by Shankar-Ganesh. It is an awesome melody and I too was surprised when I came to know that it was not by the Maestro.

5:12 PM, February 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Filby,

Wowww!!! I never knew this info. Couldn't believe this is by Shankar-Ganesh. Thanks for the info:)

8:52 AM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Yeah Senthil, I too was as surprised as you. Even the 'Oh Nenje nee thaan paadum geethangal' song from Darling Darling Darling is by them. Will try to come up with a playlist of songs by Shankar Ganesh soon.

11:41 AM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger bart said...

dear filby,

i am very much in love with the song Adho andha nadhiyoram from ezhai jaathi. please give me the mp3 for the same. all the other songs in your collection are good and i have them too...

but this is what i like and want the most.

please mail it to vbvsharma@gmail.com

thanks and regards,

bharath v v

10:23 AM, September 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home