Monday, January 22, 2007

Pokkiri - Insipid Moviemaking at its best

Kushi and Gilli have been the only Vijay movies I have watched in the last 6-7 years (that should tell you how big a fan of his movies I have been) and reading about all the bad movies he has been casting himself in year in and year out, I wasn't really very much interested in going to this movie when I heard about its screening here. But finally had to go under my friends’ compulsion and I have to say that I did carry a very faint hope that may be Vijay has changed his ways. My first reaction mid-way through the movie - I have done myself a world of good by opting not to watch any Vijay movies all these years. This guy has not really changed much, as far as selection of story & scripts go. Man, the movie was just a big joke. If the only scene that you can recall from a movie after watching it, is a comedy scene involving Vadivelu, then there is something wrong with the movie. I can't believe that Prabhu Deva can come up with such a pathetic screenplay. The final 30 minutes were a torture to sit through. Prabhu Deva has made sure that every actor in the movie is wasted as much as possible. Watching Nasser and Prakash Raj doing the roles they did, was plain embarrassing. As we all know, Chandramukhi has this famous Enna kodumai Saravanan idhu moment. The reason I am mentioning it here is bcos this movie had so many such moments that it will be a futile attempt listing all of them.

Asin's role should have been the most confusing role she has ever done. The romantic portions were too idiotic to even write about it. The only thing I was looking forward to in the movie was to see how the Vijay - Prabhu Deva combo had done in the dance choreography department. Even there, it was a huge let-down. Except for the opening song, none of the songs were even close to being called impressive. Another thing I don’t understand is why in the world Vijay took close to a year to do a movie like this. Bcos the last time I read, he was supposedly looking for a good script. Though Vadivelu's comedy evoked a few laughs, couple of them were done in clearly bad taste and it only added to the discomfort of the movie-goer, who were already being fed with too much violence, straight out of a Telugu movie. The inspector role comes to my mind readily. There are so many ways that a director can make the audience dislike a particular character but Prabhu Deva chooses the most disgusting way of all.

There were 2 stand out comedy scenes from the movie:

1) Suttrum vizhi chudare sequence by Vadivelu – the entire audience went into uncontrollable laughter during this scene.
2) When Vijay is revealed as the undercover IPS officer (Oops…I have revealed the ‘unpredictable twist’ in the story). That was easily the biggest comedy scene (even better than the previous scene) in the movie which duly brought in a lot of catcalls from the audience.

One sincere request to Vijay - please do not try wearing the police officer dress. You look totally out of place like a clown (more like a watchman). On the whole, a completely forgettable & must-avoid movie and if you any of reading this haven’t seen the movie so far, please do not venture near the theater. You have been sufficiently warned. As for me, I have learnt my lesson. This will be the last Vijay film I would be seeing.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Rajesh Thiagarajan said...

Unfortunately (fortunately in this case) I live in Adelaide where the movies get screened with atleast one month delay. Pokkiri will be on from 4th Feb - initially I had plans to watch the movie. But after your review, mm I dont really know if I want to be spending another 10 bucks on a crappy movie.

PS: I am not a vijay fan.

-Rajesh

12:24 AM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dheep athaan... u r able to digest Rajini movies ..but i dnt knw y u cant bear same class of movie done by Vijay... ther s no major diff n Rajini movies till now, Chandramukhi an exception.

You dont lyk Vijay ... so u didnt lyk d movie... i will tell dat this s a very biased REVIEW.... anyway opinion differs...

But go through reviews from Behindwoods, Sify ,IndiaGlitz, and gallatta.

12:29 AM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-articles/movies-05/pokkiri-review.html

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/28677.html

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/review.php?id=14369041&ctid=5&cid=2429

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/boxoffice/fullstory.php?id=14374048

12:34 AM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.behindwoods.com/features/Topten/top10Movies/tamil-cinema-topten-movie-1.html

6:15 AM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Rajesh, trust me. It is not worth the 10$ that you have to spend. You can surely watch it in DVD for all the laughs it provides. This movie came close to a Vijayakanth movie in many ways.

12:02 PM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Andrew,

I agree my review might be biased. But show me one neutral viewer who can say atleast one good thing about the movie. I bet you can't find one. I do not rely on any of the websites whose reviews you have listed. If at all, there is one site whose review I take it seriosuly, it is Rediff & that too for Tamil movies alone. They have given a pathetic 1.5 star rating (Even Azhwar, which many Ajith fans couldn't sit through, has been given a 2 star rating). And lets not drag Thalaivar into the picture, please :)

12:08 PM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Sorry anon, no profanity allowed here. So, had to delete your comment.

12:09 PM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

After seeing the telugu pokkiri, I have more expectation to see this pokkiri, bcos of prabhu deva flavor. But whatever you said, are my opinions too, Filbert

8:42 PM, January 24, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Everyone told me that since I havent seen the Telugu Pokkiri, I might like the Tamil Pokkiri. Bcos, many have felt that Vijay has even tried to copy Mahesh Babu in his acting style. Now, I feel good that I havent seen the Telugu version since if I had, my hatred for the movie would have only increased :) Anyway, good to see that you share my opinions too.

8:59 PM, January 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home