Sunday, October 21, 2007

Weekend Movies - Ammuvaagiya Naan & HNRAI

Ammuvaagiya Naan - Parthiban is one actor I admire (in fact, he is my favorite actor right after Thalaivar) and so I look forward to all his movies, even the ones he does not direct. And all the decent reviews that this movie got only made me more curious. While I was done watching it, I have to say that the movie did not let me down/ disappoint and kind of/ sort of lived up to the expectations that I had. If I were to describe the thoughts that came to my mind while watching the movie, it would be these 2 words - inconsistency and predictability. Inconsistent in the way the characters behaved during the course of the movie and predictable in the way the movie ended. The Parthiban that is introduced to us in a TV interview (eerily similar to the Madhavan character of Kannathil Muthamittaal) is not the Parthiban we get to see in the later portions of the movie. The heroine's performance & characterisation again was inconsistent. She definitely has done exceedingly well for a debutant and she is beautiful in a curious way (I have to borrow what my friend said about the way she looks - she does look like Meena and Isha Gopikkar rolled into one. I do agree with my friend's observation) Parthiban was his usual self, with his matter-of-fact, no non-sense and not-going-overboard acting. Music by Sabesh Murali was a highlight, both the songs and the re-recording. Overall, definitely an one-time watch movie and one of the good (as in utterly bad, bad, good, better and best) movies of the year.

Hey Nee Romba Azhagaa Irukka - This is one Vasanth movie that I had missed out on, during the time it was released few years ago. But have read some good reviews about the movie, though the movie itself was a flop. And Vasanth is one director whom I hold in very high regard and 2 of his movies - Keladi Kanmani & Rhythm - would find their place in my list of all-time favorite movies. But when I was done watching this movie, I was left ruing my decision to watch the movie and more importantly, the lofty perch on which I had placed Vasanth all these years came down crushing. I could rightaway say that this was easily Vasanth's worst movie ever (except Poovellaam Kaettu Paar, another movie that I have not seen). I mean, there was nothing in the movie that would make you think it was a Vasanth movie. Just bcos the theme the movie handles is different doesn't mean that we should appreciate the silly and totally ridiculous way the theme was conveyed. It all started with the casting - when you have Shaam doing the role of guy who is cool and mature, there can only be one thing in store for the audience - disaster. Add the completely unexpressive and totally artifical Jaya Ray to the equation, you have the perfect recipe for disaster. Fortunately for us, Sneha was there but even she could only hold the movie to only a certain extent. The other thing that stood out badly was the songs picturization, something I think Vasanth is as good as the best in the business. When it comes to innovation in songs picturization, not even a Mani Rathnam can hold an umbrella to vasanth and that is why when I saw some of the songs being picturized the way they were (ridiculous would be an understatement), my disappointment only doubled. Vivek was the other person who brought some relief from the totally stupid proceedings. Overall, a movie I still can not believe was made by Vasanth.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Naren's said...

its really sad that you happened to catch with this sick movie (hey nee romba azhaha irukke) after all these years where in u managed to skip this. These are those kinds where in u don feel anything at all about the movie but for a small incense as to what the hell at all they are trying to convey in this movie. And vasanth's song picturization skills.i beg to differ. Especialy claiming him to be better than mani ratnam ,leave alone picturization in any manner is a unworthy praise on him. You shud realy check the poovellamkaettupaar movie and especialy its songs to understand how stale he canpicturize some real good songs. The point is he can be brilliant in patches, like the thaniyae song rythm -which i again i ll attribute the success more to raju sundaram and his troupe, but never consistent like a mani ratnam or shankar.and IMHO thats wat sets the difference of being superstar director like mani and shankar and an average one like vasanth

2:26 AM, October 24, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Agree with you about this movie. Sick would be the best word to describe this movie, which was disappointing and artificial in every single aspect.

Coming to songs picturization - theriyala Naren, may be I haven't watched his later-day movies carefully but to me, the moment I think of Vasanth, I think of his earlier movies like Aasai and Keladi kanmani. His picturizations are definitely not grand, when compared to Shankar and MR but I still do think that in terms of innovativeness, he scores. The Punnagaikku Neram song in Appu IMHO is one of the most innovatively picturized songs ever in Tamil cinema :)

12:48 PM, October 24, 2007  
Blogger Balaji said...

i've never been a big fan of vasanth's song picturizations. but to further lower ur opinion of his skill in that arena, u should definitely watch 'satham podaathey'. its almost a lesson on how not to picturize songs!

11:11 PM, October 24, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Looks like I am in a minority here. Somehow to me, I have always enjoyed his songs picturizations. There would definitely something new about them. Surya's comic dance steps in Aval varuvaalaa, Raju Sundaram's awesome dance steps Shock adikkudhu sonaa, that song in Appu, Nivedha song, to name a few...But I guess, from the looks of it, his quality has gone down over the years. I haven't watched SP yet. So, will let you know if my opinion has changed for good, after watching it :)

5:58 PM, October 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey,

Don't be too harsh on a movie,that was created for just fun. I find comedy in this movie refreshing.
Agreed that the story is kind of repetitive and lacks reality at some instants.

But it would still make a good movie to watch with family.

6:08 PM, October 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home