Tuesday, August 21, 2007

An assorted post

Bheema album- What Harris Jeyaraj has been doing with each album of his is just mind-blowing. Music lovers have differing opinions on songs of different MDs but when it comes to songs tuned in by Harris, there are no two opinions. Inspite of all his shortcomings, nobody can say that they do not like the melodies churned out by Harris Jeyaraj. I am a big fan of Yuvan but I enjoy the songs of Harris Jeyaraj equally bcos of the simple reason - they are instantly catchy, the tunes are very simple and more importantly, all it takes for us to start loving the songs is couple of listenings. Of course his songs draw the usual complaints - they are not innovative, they all sound the same, the tune sounds oh-so familiar but guess what? The songs are so much enjoyable and that is what matters at the end. And Bheema is no different and it was only expected bcos it is Linguswamy who is the director of the movie and who has always been very good when it comes to extracting the best out of his MDs. Every song you hear in Bheema just brings a smile to your lips, as to how this guy can come up with such simple tunes album after album.

The moment you listen to the Ragasiya Kanavugal song, you are instantly hooked on to it. The only thing that is jarring in this song is Madhushree's voice & Tamil pronunciation. The 'irage irage' chorus is just too good. Very soothing tune to go along with some catchy beats. Easily my pick of the album. But equally soothing and melodious, are the Enadhuyire enadhuiyre and Mudhal mazhai songs. Somehow Sadhana Sargam's rendition of the Enadhuyire song was not easy on the ears. Other than that, it was almost a perfect melody. Hariharan is at his best in the mesmerizing Mudhal mazhai number where that female solo humming, though being something we have come to expect in Harris Jeyaraj's songs, is so enchanting. Oru mugamO is a very interesting hero introduction song, sans heavy beats which are usually the trademark of such songs. Naresh Iyer and Karthik just compliment each other well. Siru paarvaiyaale is the typical Harris folk-cum-kuthu song and it is as catchy as any of his previous such songs. And me being a big fan of Harini just makes the job of liking the song much more easier. Rangu rangamma is a decent song and will rank as my least favorite number of the album. Overall, Harris Jeyaraj serves up one more thoroughly enjoyable album.

Sivaji second release - This is too good a news not to share this info with you guys. Last weekend, Sivaji was re-released in Seattle (you know, owing to popular demand :D) and thus also becoming the first movie to do so in Seattle's history of screening Tamil movies. Kireedom that was released couple of weeks drew very average crowds (one of my friends actually co-released the movie and let me just say that he hurts his finances pretty badly) and Arya that was released last weekend (along with Sivaji) fared even worse and had all of 11 people watching it. But guess how many people turned up for Sivaji? 410. That’s just freaking unbelievable. Seriously, when I got the news that Sivaji was going to be released again, though I was excited, I was also apprehensive as to the guy who releases it should not incur any losses. Bcos Tamil movies usually run for 1-2 shows here in Seattle. And Sivaji had already run 9 shows during its first release and now it was releasing again. But The Boss proved his clout at the BO in no small measure and pulled out another near-houseful show at Seattle. Though I was out of town and thus could not increase my count (which still stands at 6), talks are already on to bring the movie back to Seattle to coincide with 100th day of the movie's release. I should increase my count during then :)

2008 Accord - Though the concept car of the 2008 Accord coupe was revealed last year at the Detroit auto show, the sedan was kept under the wraps until it was unveiled yesterday. Being an Accord owner myself, I closely follow the changes that the model go through over the years. One of my friends' friend who works at Honda who had a chance to look at the model ever since last year, had only glowing things to say about the car (like "it will blow your mind away"). But after watching the video yday, I will have to say that it did not exactly do it to me :) It definitely looks more stylish and it just does not blow your mind off, say how the 2007 Camry did to all of us when compared to the 06 version. I feel that the body of the car resembles more like a BMW 5-series and it also looks like the car has much more interior space than its previous versions. Here is the link to the Motor Trend video.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true. I have always thought that Harris Jeyaraj is like the modern day S.A.Rajkumar. Just like S.A.Rajkumar, he is able to produce the same songs over and over again and still keep it catchy.

Kireedom is not a bad film. People are not appreciating good films. More than that, they would rather download the films. It is online the next day.

-kajan

6:58 PM, August 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Filby,

Somehow I didn't like the Bheema songs much. I'm not going to complain that it sounds same and all that. Still, the songs didn't catch my attention. Let me see how do I like the songs after I watch the film :)

11:38 AM, August 24, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Kajan, I kind of agree with yourself calling HJ as a modern day SARK. But one thing that Harris has been able to do is be consistent. Almost every single album of his has been a musical hit, something SARK can not claim to have done with his scores.

About Kireedom - I am yet to watch the film. Couldn't watch it when it was screened here. But from what I read, looks like the movie would have been good (and a hit, perhaps) if the director had stayed true to its Malayalam original.

3:21 PM, August 24, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Senthil, the thing I liked about the Bheema songs was that all the songs were instantly catchy, something that can not be said about many of the albums releasing these days. But I will concede that Bheema's music is not as good as Unnaale Unnaale, quality-wise. I am sure you will like the songs when you see them on-screen :)

3:24 PM, August 24, 2007  
Blogger Naren's said...

Hey boss...bheema for me once does not lure for a repeat listen unlike harris' earlier films..but hope the songs will pick up once the movie is released.On a seperate note do please listen to songs of SIVI by DHARAN (paarijatham). A refreshing album with some really catchy songs. About the video u r watching it was a fitting reply from Ameer, a refined reply from vivek and a reply from heart from Lingusamy. All for one factor -RAJINI.....

8:15 PM, August 27, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Hmmm...interesting to hear that from you too, Naren. Somehow, I have been able to listen to Bheema songs atleast twice for the past week and they still have not bored me :)

About Sivi - yeah, I did listen to the songs once. Was impressed. Haven't gotten a chance to listen to the songs again. Agree with you in that the songs have a certain uniqueness about them.

That video on the left - yeah, Ameer was amazing. That is how folks like Gnani should be responded to.

10:41 AM, August 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home