Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Climb up...Loose calories...

Sounds ironic...I am talking about climbing stairs here. I am one of those millions of people who try to reduce weight by attempting to do too much but ultimately not doing much - 'trying' to be on diet and 'trying' to work out once in a while. Though I have not been successful in being regular in both the above, I am constantly on the look out for any new technique or opportunity that will help me in reducing some calories/ pounds.

So, when one of my colleagues at work suggested that we start this practice of climbing stairs at work, I readily accepted it. The tower building in my workplace is not too high like the skyscrapers that you see in movies, but it is decent with 22 floors. So, we started the practice of climbing stairs in the afternoon like around 2pm, so that it serves 2 purpose - the obvious purpose of helping keep your body in shape and also the additional purpose of helping you stay awake during the nap time that is after ,lunch break. At first, though the idea sounded crazy, it was kind of fun when we actually started practicing it. When we started, the group comprised of just me and my colleague. But it gained popularity and now atleast 8 people more have joined the team, making it a 10-strong team. At times, it is really funny to see a group of people climbing stairs like weirdoes in the middle of the afternoon. You should see the expressions on the faces of people who take the stairs to climb 1 or 2 floors and everyone goes "Looks like there is a party going on here".

We started with climbing up to the 10th floor and then our plan was to increase the count by 3 floors every week and so far we have come up to the till the 13th floor of the building and we hope to achieve the target of completing all 22 floors, in another 3 weeks' time. The funny thing is how big a difference climbing even 2 floors more can make. In the 2nd week, when we started climbing 3 more floors, I felt as though I was climbing a whole new building. The first time I started doing it, every muscle in my leg was hurting but as with everything, you get used to it and now, it more a matter of stamina that fitness.

So, if you are working in a workplace which is a tall building with many floors, do try this out. It is a different experience and definitely worth a try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home