Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Desi Destinations

At lunch sometime last week, we were discussing about the popular places that everyone of us in the team have visited here in the US. So, being the typical desi that I am, I was listing all the places that I have been to, to my friend and she was surprised that I have been to so many places. Then, I explained to her the popular destinations that we desis here frequent, without which our desi life would be considered incomplete :) So many American friends that I have talked to here haven't been to NYC/ Niagara Falls even once in their life whereas every desi worth his salt would been to both these places for sure. Worse still, many of folks here do not visit even the most famous local tourist attractions. My friend here at work for example hasn’t visited Mount Rainier even once, though he has lived in Seattle for close to 13 years whereas I have been to Rainier twice in the last 2 years.

That set me thinking about the list of places that we as desis have as an unwritten rule to complete visiting during our stay here in this country. So, here are the destinations that I could think of. Not that I have been to all of these places but I know most of my friends have been to most of these places. I am sure either you or your friends that you know would have visited most of these places in the list.

The Usual Suspects
Niagara Falls – This is like the Mecca of desi destinations
New York City – This is probably the second most favorite destination
Chicago
Florida (Orlando, Miami and Key West)
Las Vegas & Grand Canyon (Usually both these will be covered in a single trip, which also would include a stop at the Hoover Dam)
San Francisco (Golden Gate bridge, Alcatraz, 17-mile drive, Lombard Street)
Los Angeles & San Diego (Hollywood, Universal Studios, Sea World)
Yellowstone National park
Washington DC (The Mall, Pentagon)
Atlanta (CNN center, Coke museum)
Boston
Lake Tahoe
Smoky Mountains
Yosemite national Park

More exotic destinations - meaning most of us would not have been there but would like to go one day.

The Caribbean Islands
Hawaii
Alaska
Cancun, Mexico
Canada
Mount Rushmore

Have I missed anything in the list here?

4 Comments:

Blogger Filbert said...

Mauritius is a definite addition to the exotic locations list. I too know atleast 2 of my friends who went to Mauritius for their honeymoons.

11:16 AM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Yeah Sesh, I should have added St. Louis to that list. That arch is there in my to-see list, too.

11:27 AM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger Balaji said...

nice comprehensive list filbert. could even be used as a reference point. esp. like the hoover dam addition to LV/GC trip since thats exactly what we did. the 1 place i would add would be disneyland in the LA and San Diego places...

oru alpa sandhosham... i've been to 3 of the 6 places u've listed in the 'exotic destinations' list :)

12:45 PM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Yeah, we did the same during our Grand Canyon - Las Vegas trip. Having been to 3 out of the 6 places is awesome. That is what I too will strive to achieve. I have been to Canada and planning to drive to Mount Rushmore this memorial day weekend. So, that will make it 2 :)

12:35 PM, May 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home