Wednesday, April 19, 2006

India trip movies reviews - Part III

Finishing off the movie reviews of my India trip, a good 45 days after I came back from India :)

Kalvanin Kaadhali - This is one movie I wouldn't have watched in my wildest dreams, for SJS is one guy whom I hate to the end of the world. He, as a director, is at best a one film wonder (Vaali). When my room-mate was watching Anbe Aariyire in his laptop sitting in a couch near me, I was so annoyed & irritated by his voice ( you have to note here that I did not even actually SEE one single frame of the movie) that I just asked him to go into his room & watch it. Given all that, the one reason I still ventured to see this movie was Yuvan's foot-tapping songs, about which I had written here. But to my horror, I found that the songs were completely a torture to sit through just bcos of SJS. My most favorite part which comes in the Eno kangal song where Yuvan sings the lines 'adi naakkula', was completely unbearable with SJS acting like a clown & making a complete fool of himself with his dance steps. If Surya is the one reason why you should stay away from the movie, Nayanthara is the one reason why you SHOULD watch the movie. She was the only saving grace in the movie. She was so beautiful and surprisingly, considering the tagline of the movie 36-28-36, there were no indecent exposures :) She redeems herself after an insipid & disgusting performance in Ghajini. It was in fact Vivek's comedy that was full of double entendres and kind of left a bad taste in the mouth. There were a couple of interesting observations that I loved when the credits rolled - while Multiple Star for SJS was disgusting, it was made up for when Yuvan's name was shown with the title Ilaiya Isaignani. How true it is!! All said and done, I will have to add that the movie is not that bad as the Vikatan review made it out to be. Remove SJS from the movie and this would definitely have been a (in)decent & watchable movie.

Kalaaba Kaadhalan - My friend rightly called this movie 'the female version of Vaali'. Even given that, it is definitely a novel attempt. The movie's plot obviously is something which should have the creative juices in the director flowing but he completely missed it. It was very obvious that the director was kind of confused on how to finish the movie and it showed in the abrupt ending the movie had. But Arya was a major disappointment. he was just clueless as to how to emote. When I saw him in Arindhum Ariyaamalum (and now in Pattiyal), he came across as such a natural actor. So, it was disappointing to see such a performance from him in this movie. Both the heroines though had done their roles pretty well. The only memory I guess everyone will carry from this movie is the beautifully decorated & furnished apartment that the majority of the movie is shot. I am sure everyone would love to decorate their apartment like it. The fact that I didn't carry any other memory out of the movie should say something about the movie. Novel attempt but clueless execution.

Sandaikozhi - A picture perfect masala movie from Lingusaamy who disappointed his fans with a Ji earlier. To me, Yuvan's songs and Vishal were clearly the highlights of the movie. Meera Jasmine was her usual cherubical self in the movie, though it must be added that she should try to shed a few pounds near her waist. She looks bloated in many scenes. Something about Vishal makes him very likeable. May be, the fact that he is dark & tall and looks like a real Tamil hero. He emotes quite well and what stood out in this movie were the action sequences. The fight scenes are something which we all have come to hate by now. But surprisingly, in this movie, I was glued to the screen during the fight scenes. May be the fact that Vishal has a good physique makes the fights all the more believable. A review of Sandaikozhi will be incomplete without a mention of Raj Kiran’s performance. Completely different from his role in Thavamaai Thavam Irundhu, this role was a cake walk for him since he has already done exactly similar roles in movies like Nandha (though I have to admit that this is no way near that performance). The best thing about the movie, I thought, was the way in which Lingusaamy had beautifully blended the screenplay in both the rural & urban settings. I can not recall any movie in recent time which does that as well as Sandaikozhi has done. I thought it takes some special skill to do that and Lingusaamy has done it admirably in this movie.

Among the songs set to tune by Yuvan, the Dhavani potta deepavali song is just vintage Ilaiyaraja (more like the Sokka podu pottaale song from Daas and this one is actually better) and even the other songs in the movie were catchy and fitted perfectly well with the flow of the story. While the simple tune of the song will make you like the song instantly, at the same time, it is highly infectious which would make you listen to the song umpteen number of times. The picturization of songs were extremely well-done and I simply loved the choreography in almost all of them. The way the important twist in the movie is unfolded was just awesome and caught me by complete surprise. All those scenes (from the bus fight scene when Vishal comes to know who Kaasi is) leading to the Mundaasu sooriyane song were gripping & sets us for an interesting second-half. In spite of the Run hangover which is evident in more than one scene, the fact that the movie is thoroughly enjoyable and is a hit back in our place should be a testimony to Lingusamy's adeptness to come up with a well-knit screenplay. The absence of a separate comedy track (something we saw in Run) is a major relief and an added advantage to the movie. Overall, an eminently watchable movie with a racy screenplay and all the necessary ingredients for a successful masala movie.

4 Comments:

Blogger Balaji said...

exactly what i thot about 'kalvanin kaadhali'. i think sjs' image worked against him and everybody immediately branded the film as vulgar. but it wasnt bad at all considering the story. as u said, vivek was the one uttering all the double entendres.

and good points about 'sandakkozhi'. the twist surprised me too and helped the film be different from other movies where a regular guy goes against a powerful villain. lingusamy's ability to weave an interesting screenplay makes 'bheema' a movie to look forward to :)

12:18 AM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Yeah Balaji, I immensely loved the twist as I was totally unprepared. About Bheema - I dont know if Vikram should do another macho man type of role. I feel he has already done enough and time for him to do a more serious movie like Pithamagan.

Kalvanin Kadhali - it was a struggle for me to put up with that guy. I am hearing he is playing hero again. How awful....

8:38 AM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

Really once again Lingusamy proved that he is good in screenplay, But i dont know why he failed wth Ajith in Ji.

Exactly you are rite with SJS's KK. Many of my friends dont preferrred that movie bcos of SJS.

10:54 PM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

True Karthik. I really can not imagine a director who will cast SJS as the hero. Though its true that SJS is a good fit for the role with his rogue-ish looks, the director should have taken into consideration the plights of the audience like us, who have to sit through 2.5 hours of torture.

11:30 AM, April 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home