Thursday, September 14, 2006

Movies that I am looking forward to

I am sure at any given point of time, we all are looking forward to movies that are in various stages of production for a variety of reasons. And those reasons are usually the track record of the artists - be it the leading actor, the music director or the director in many cases - involved in the making of the movie. While I was thinking of such movies that I am truly looking forward to, there were just too many movies I am looking forward to and hence thought I will post the top 10 movies as an entry.

10) Dasavatharam - This movie has the number 10 in its name and has Kamal donning 10 roles in it and hence I thought 'OK...let me give it the 10th slot in this list'. I don’t understand why Kamal fans are placing their hopes on this movie, as though they are going to get another Anbe Sivam. Seriously, has there been any quality & worthwhile movie from the Kamal - KSR combo? I mostly think that this movie will act as a sort of propaganda vehicle to show off Kamal's acting/ film making/ make-up skills. A rapidly declining Himesh Reshamiyya as the MD surely appears to be a misfit. I still can not understand WTH is he doing in a Kamal movie?

9) By2 - The beautiful music is the sole reason for myself looking forward to this movie. Another reason would be that the entire movie has only 2 characters in it. Sounds a hell lot interesting...

8) Veyil - Now that Shankar's success as a producer has spanned to 3 consecutive super hits, I am assuming Veyil should be no different. Apart from the fact that it is produced by Shankar's assistant, the realistic stills that have been released so far, the presence of the versatile Pasupathy and the musical debut of by ARR's nephew, G. V. Prakash are other factors that make me await the movie’s release. BTW, I heard the director of this movie was the one who made Album. I haven’t seen the movie yet. Was that any good? Another personal reason to await this movie – parts of the movie have been shot in Madurai, just like Kaadhal.

7) Satham Podaathey - Vasanth is one of my favorite directors who has IMHO failed to live up to his tremendous potential. Sure, there has been an Aasai here and Rhythm there but he has failed to be consistent. Given his immense skills, I would expect each movie of his to be outstanding, which frankly has not been the case. But inspite of all this, I am still looking forward to this movie. Yuvan's music in this is another reason I am looking forward to this bcos the last time, they joined together they produced some mind-blowing music.

6) Mozhi - Radhamohan is director who impressed everyone with his very first movie Azhagiya Theeye, which ranks one of the best movies of the last couple of years. Inspite of his second film turning out to be not so good (the hero and his producer dad had a lot to do with that), I am eagerly awaiting this movie, now that he has joined hands with his mentor Prakash Raj again. The talented cast of Prithviraj, Padmapriya, and Prakash Raj, apart from the fact that this could be Jyothika’s last movie are other reasons which you can count on.

5) Paruthiveeran - Main reasons for looking forward to this movie would be Ameer and Yuvan. Ameer is one director who gets the best of Yuvan and being the big Yuvan fan that I am, that alone should be a big reason. But even more than that, Raam again is one of the very good movies that we have seen in the last couple of years. So, naturally my expectations went up when this movie was launched. Surya's brother who is making his debut with this movie and Priya Mani an outstanding student from the Balu Mahendra school of acting are other reasons I can’t wait to see the movie.

4) Maayakkannaadi - Alright, if you have followed my blog for a while, you should know that I am a big time Cheran fan and hence it is only natural that his latest venture finds itself in this list. Music by Maestro is always a highlight and another reason enough to expect this movie. But I have to say that the new hairstyle that Cheran is sporting in the stills looks quite artificial and naive. I am just hoping that Cheran has a valid reason to explain that.

3) Film by Balaji Shakthivel - Well, you got to look forward to the next movie from the man who gave us Kaadhal, my nominee for the best movie since Pithamagan. He has taken an unusually long time to get started on this film but the last I read was that it is nearing completion. Does anybody know if the movie has been given a title yet and who is scoring music for this movie?

2) Naan Kadavul - It is not very often that Bala makes a movie. In fact, it has been a good 3 years since that classic Pithamagan was released. Bala is easily my most favorite director in Tamil cinema right now and all these are reasons enough to look forward to the movie, though it has just been started. I am surprised by the lack of coverage for this movie from bloggers, particularly after an interesting set of shooting pictures were released last week. Then, you have the Maestro in the scheme of things. Pithamagan was just pure divine music and there is no reason not to expect anything different this time around.

1) Sivaji - Well, this should be a no-brainer. I don’t think there is any other movie that can even remotely come close to the expectation levels that this movie has, with not just me but among Tamilians the world over. I seriously doubt even if any of Thalaivar's future movies will have this kind of a buzz & hype surrounding it. Sure, each and every Thalaivar movie has its own unprecedented levels of hype around it. But Thalaivar with Shankar is what makes this movie easily the most looked forward movie in the history of Tamil cinema :) After the initial set of stills & shooting spot photos, Shankar has managed to completely shut down any information about the film to the media. From news items like ‘the song Sahara Pookkal is being shot on Thalaivar & Shreya in Spain’, we have gotten down to news like 'Thalaivar getting relief from the hot sun by standing in front of the fan!!' Shankar sure is the biggest torturer/ dictator on earth. அப்புறம் என்னங்க, தலைவர் படத்தோட shooting start பண்ணிட்டு , to say that we have to wait for 1.5 years to see it and that in the meanwhile, he will not release any other official photo / news about the movie, hasn’t he given us enough reasons to complain him to the human rights commission? :)

Am I missing any promising movie from this list? Here is a thing to ponder upon: my track record in this is pretty good :) The last time I did a similar
post, I only listed 2 movies and they both turned out to be good movies which also did decent at the box office. The movies - Kanda Naal Mudhal and Thavamaai Thavam Irundhu.

Also, planning to do a similar post on movies that I am NOT looking forward to. Now, that should be an interesting list.

14 Comments:

Blogger Bharani said...

Filbert...even i am also looking for all these movies....esp mozhi....agazhiya theeye is among one of my all time fav....even i liked PS a lot....his movies have been down to earth....and second is satham podathey....i am of the same opinion of vasanth....he has gr8 potential...but has failed miserably.....and Yuvan is biggest reason :)

4:56 PM, September 14, 2006  
Blogger மீனாக்ஸ் | Meenaks said...

I am intrigued why you are not looking forward to Vallavan. Especially when I feel that it has pretty good music from your favourite Yuvan. Is it just the Simbu factor that turns you away or something else?

I personally feel Simbu has loads of talent, which when properly channelised would help in making good movies. However, if he is stcuk in his self-praise mode, then all hope is lost.

10:07 PM, September 14, 2006  
Blogger daZ said...

poi

12:37 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

True Bharani. I am sure Azhagiya Theeye is on everybody's favorite movies list of the last few years. And Ponniyin Selvan would have been eminently watchable, if not for Ravikrishna who was just a spoilsport. You said it right about Vasanth. Lets see if Yuvan's success catches up with Vasanth :)

7:47 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Meens,

Vallavan and Bheema were the other movies I wanted to add in this list but somehow could not bring myself to replace any in this list with them. No, I am not turned off by Simbhu. In fact, what you have written in the 2nd para of your comment is exactly what I think about him. But the fact that he has been taking so long to finish the movie and has now added another song in the movie, all just makes me afraid that he is probably getting into the self-praise mode :(

8:20 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Theriyala Das, none of KB's movie have been even watchable after Kalki. With the distributors not even interested in releasing the movie and the movie's music not becoming popular, not much hopes on that one.

8:28 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Balaji said...

was surprised seeing 'dasaavathaaram' at #10 but kinda made sense after seeing the other picks. but it would surely rate much higher than #10 in my list :)

'album' had a different theme but was rather uninteresting. nothing seemed to happen in the movie!

7:15 PM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger P.S. Suresh Kumar said...

hi, that was almost my top 10 list too but By 2 is not there in my list though i like the songs very much, it is because, i saw the trailor of the movie and it wasn't impressive.

i didn't like Ram much but yet i look forward for Paruthiveeran, both the soundtrack and the movie

similarly, i am not too eager on Mayakannadi mainly becoz (as you said) of the hairstyle of Cheran, i think this is high time that Cheran goes to some other heroes atleast for city based subjects...

And more than Sivaji, i am eagerly waiting for "Naan Kadavul - aham Brahmasmi", the publicity stills looks very psychic and amazing

10:26 AM, September 16, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Yeah Balaji, I did not want to move Dasavatharam up in the list (whenever Kamal gets into these self indulgent modes, I simply hate it) but I can understand your rating of it finding a place much higher.

Thats what I too remember about Album. Neither good nor scathing reviews. Lets see how Veyil has turned out.

7:52 AM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

I havent seen the trailer of By2 yet. I guess I will agree with you if I watch it. But I have simply fallen in love with all the songs in the album. Too good.

You said it right about Cheran donning the hero's role in every film of his now. I am too of the opinion that he should change that, particularly for these kind of subjects. I could understand that he cast himself in Autograph since many heroes refused to do the lead role. But now that he has reeled off several hits in a row, I am sure heroes will be willing to act in his movie.

Naan Kadavul - Being the Thalaivar fanatic I am, I just cant pass up Sivaji :) But I am sure that quality-wise, Naan Kadavul will be notches above Sivaji.

7:57 AM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

Filbert, Good listing really. But I dont expect dasavatharam in 10 whereas thalaivar's Sivaji at 1. Kamal mela avlO kobama.. Jus kidding..

What abt first prabhudeva's directorial movie pokkiri..

What abt Simbhu's first directorial debut vallavan and Lingusamy+Vikaram's Bheema.?

I am really expecting vishal's next movie thamirabharani, whether he is going to retain his position. Really he become a paisa-vasool hero in B and C after Sandakozhi

1:09 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Theriyala Karthik, I really dont think that there is anything to expect from the Kamal-KSR combo. So, I didnt even think about moving Dasavatharam up in my list.

Pokkiri will find a place in my 'not looking forward to' list :)

Hari's movies have become very predictable these days and hence no hopes on Thamirabharani either

8:07 AM, September 19, 2006  
Blogger பாரதிய நவீன இளவரசன் said...

Ajith's God Father.....?

6:47 PM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

I am not a big fan of Ajith and coming from K.S.Ravikumar whose standards are rapidly coming down & with some insipid score from ARR, I find no reason to look forward to Godfather. I would have looked forward to Naan kadavul more if Ajith had been part of that movie since that would have been a very good chance to bring out the acting potential of Ajith.

12:43 PM, September 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home