Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Trip to the 2006 US Open


This past Labor day weekend was the time for me to cross one more item from my check list of sports events to attend in person. Attending the US Open was one of the very first things that came to my mind when I got to the US. But it has taken 5 long years for me to be able to do that. 2 years ago, I was in NY during the US Open but did not get a chance to see the tournament. So, like always, here is a small narration of my trip to New York city to watch the 2006 US Open.


1) Since I took really long to book the tickets, by the time I looked for tickets online, I could get tickets for only one session during the weekend. That being a long weekend, almost all the tickets were sold out well in advance. So, I made the trip to the US Open with tickets for just 1 session. With the tournament organizers not publishing the playing schedule until the day before (due to which you don’t know until the day before as to who is playing in your session), we were keeping our fingers crossed hoping to see some big name players in our session. Finally, we found the day before that Nadal and Serena Williams were scheduled to play during our session.

2) But then it was Ernesto's turn to play spoil sport on the scheduled day. Due to the tropical storm, the entire day's play was washed out and there I was standing after having traveled 3000 miles from Seattle, only to find my session canceled. The tournament organizers offered 2 options - we can either get tickets another session during this US Open or hold on to the same tickets for next year's US Open. Fortunately, for me the next day's evening session tickets were available and we readily grabbed them with both hands.

3) I observed a very heart warming gesture during my flight journey into NY. There was this guy who was seated right in front of me. I did not notice him when he got into his seat. When the airhostess came around serving the usual snacks & drinks routine, after serving him, she said "Thanks for serving". I was obviously puzzled and when I peeked around, it was then I saw that he was dressed in the army uniform and looked like someone who was returning from active duty. And when the flight landed and as everybody was disembarking from the flight, the sounds of "thanks for serving us" and "Thanks for your service" filled the air, with almost everybody getting out of the flight taking their time to thank the overwhelmed marine. I was immediately taken back to how we react to when we see someone from the military back in India. Though we have always had high regard for them, may be the next time we meet someone from the army back in India, we should take a moment to thank them for serving & literally protecting us.

4) One of the interesting incidents to narrate - On the day when the tropical storm was playing spoilsport, me and my friend were both bored to death and were just wandering about the USTA premises taking pictures of the whole area. When you get off the subway train, the US Open premises is to your right and the Mets (baseball) stadium is to the left. Since we were bored, we walked our way to the other side of the subway to take some pictures of the Mets stadium. While we were at it, two men approached us and flashed their badges to us & said "NYPD"! For a second, I just froze and I thought to myself Oh...oh...This is not happening to me. What wrong did we do?. Then the officer proceeded We have been noticing both you guys for a while and the pictures you were taking. It looked a bit suspicious. Can we take a look at the pictures you took? It was then we both realized the pictures that we were taking - the Arthur Ashe stadium, the subway trains, the rail tracks, the general crowd and the Mets stadium and it all made sense - no wonder that they stopped us. They said they wanted to run our names against their database to see if we were having any pending arrests against our names. While one of the officers was doing the same, the other one (he was a perfect gentleman) stuck a conversation with us and soon we were discussing about college football, bcos the officer was a big-time Notre Dame fan, something I noticed it from the hat he was wearing. It really helped that I follow college football madly and he was pleasantly surprised that we knew so much about college football. As expected, the search came back empty and they wished us good luck in getting some tickets. Overall, it was all such a good experience.

5) The problem with scheduling of games at the US Open is that all the popular players play in either of the 2 big stadiums - the Arthur Ashe stadium or the Louis Armstrong stadium to which getting tickets anywhere closer to the court side is next to impossible (unless if you are willing to shell out 300$ per ticket). That just means one thing - that you will never get to see the popular players from up close. And there are 17 other courts inside the complex and is in these courts that you get to watch the players from really close quarters. It was in one such court that we were able to get a really close view of Mary Pierce and my friend got to watch Sania. (For Sania fans out there, check her pictures
here)

6) Due to the change of schedule due to the weather, we got to watch the
Sharapova - Likhovtseva game, followed by the James Blake - Carlos Moya game. The Sharapova game was a big disappointment bcos Sharapova finished off the match in real quick time & so didn’t get much time to drool over her. But from our seats which were way above in the stands, it was anyway not possible. The one thing that is hard to miss while watching a Sharapova game is the grunting that goes with her game. Even with ourselves sitting way up above in the stands, we could clearly hear her grunting. Has there been an official comparison of the grunting levels of her with Monica Seles? I am sure that would be one interesting comparison. But the Blake-Moya game was a treat to watch. The action is more pronounced and it was fun watching the game, with Blake, being the NYC local he is, getting tremendous support from the partisan crowd.

7) Our travails with NYPD didn’t get over with that one incident. On our way back to my friend's place, we got stuck in the elevator. Since the supervisor of the building wasn’t there to attend to the emergency situation, the NYPD had to called in, who in turn called the FDNY. We were put up inside the elevator for about 60 minutes before the FDNY folks got us out. The worst part about getting stuck in that elevator was that we were like a few inches away from the floor where we had to get off. We could hear what everybody was talking outside and rather than getting scared of claustrophobia (we were 5 in a really small elevator) or something, we all were joking around.

8) It was real hard to get tickets to that Agassi - Becker game (Agassi’s last game as a pro). We tried our best to get some tickets at the last minute but did not succeed. We were waiting outside when the match ended. When it was announced that Andre had lost, there was a collective sigh of disappointment that went through the air from the hundreds of spectators like me waiting to get inside and was followed by spontaneous ovation for the man who was one of those rare sportsmen who was able to combine style with substance. It was particularly overwhelming and spoke volumes about the man’s popularity that there was such a long applause from an audience which did not even get to watch the man play.

9) My return journey from NY to Seattle will be something to remember bcos it took me more than 18 hours of total journey time. With 18 hours, you could have easily caught a flight to India and landed there by then. My flight back to Seattle was from Philadelphia at 5:40pm and since I was put up in Queens, NY during my trip, I started from my friend's place in Queens at around 11:30am. Caught a subway to the Penn Station, then a NJ Transit train from there to Trenton in NJ, from there another train to downtown Philadelphia and finally, another to the Philadelphia airport. Got to the airport at around 4:15pm. But delays at both the Philadelphia and the Atlanta airports made sure that I got to Seattle only around 2:30am PST (5:30am EST). Phew...that was one long journey.

Apart from the Sania
gallery, check out the general gallery too for other pictures.

8 Comments:

Blogger மீனாக்ஸ் | Meenaks said...

Nice overview. But why is your font size getting smaller and smaller with each post. Please check. Are you trying to fool us about the length of your narrative? ;-) "Yeah this post became really lengthy. Ok, let me reduce the font size and pass it off as a regular length post, Ha ha, they won't know"

5:11 AM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Meens, actually that was part of the reasoning, apart from the fact that I also wanted to try out a different font. Sometimes, when I look at my own posts after publishing them in the blog, they looked so big and lengthy. So, I thought, may be I will reduce the font size and do my part to give a feeling that the posts are after all, not that long :) BTW, the font sizes have been consistent in the last 3 posts, right?

8:18 AM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

Filbert, Actually I was there in Newyork at that time. But i didn't go there.On that day, it was raining.

I saw Mahesh Bhupathy with his wife and friends in Lexington Avenue Saravana Bhavan.

9:37 AM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Aamaam Karthik, I did see your NY posts and came to know that you too were in NYC that long weekend. I forgot to leave a comment in that post of yours. Thats cool that you saw Mahesh Bhupathi. It always feels nice if you happen to see any celebrity accidentally :)

10:18 AM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Bharani said...

Cool Narration...You had lot of adventures...NYPD, Lift ...that would have been a gr8 time......when we went to niagara, we accidentally crossed the canada border without passport...get caught..with both the immigration office...huff..

//we should take a moment to thank them for serving & literally protecting us//--- very true...we shld follow it

5:40 PM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Yeah Bharani, this NY trip of mine was one full of incidents. And I too have heard of stories of how some of our folks have mistakenly crossed the border in Niagara. May be, you should do a post on that experience. That would be one interesting read.

6:45 AM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Preethi said...

Filby, looks like u had a blast in US Open. The episode with NYPD definitely seems thrilling. I also heard in CNN, Ernesto nale vandhe floods e vide...unge Sharapova drool caused more floods nu...is it true? ;)

10:27 AM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Though watched only one session in the US Open, the trip on a whole was full of interesting & memorable incidents. About getting to watch Sharapova - I was disappointed that my original session got cancelled but then was glad that I got to see Sharapova. But next time decide pannitten Preethi - only courtside seats to watch her. No more watching her on the big screen :)

12:29 PM, September 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home