Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Satyam movie review and a poll

Satyam - This is one of those movies that you watch inspite of all the bad reviews for the one and only reason: that is to rip the movie apart in your blog. After watching it, I was glad that my DVD rental did not go to waste as the movie was everything (and actually more) that all those reviews bashing the movie claimed it to be. This movie was an utter piece of crap., so bad you are not even motivated enough to trash it in your blog. The one thing that went through my mind as I watched the movie - how in the world did Vishal's dad agree to produce a movie like this? If the producer is someone who is not in your immediate family circle, it is somewhat understandable. But in this case with Vishal's dad/ brother being the producer, it is baffling. Vishal's voice is going to be a perennial problem just like in Ravi's case. And in his quest to sport a 6-pack ab, his face seems to have lost its original flair and he looks fatigued and odd. The only aspect of Vishal's movies I used to like were the stunts and even they looked very ordinary in this one.

But among all the negatives in the movie, if you were to ask me the one that irritated me the most, the scenes involving Nayanthara and Premji easily took the crown. The so-called pranks the kids play on her were downright silly. So, were her dance steps in the En Anbe song. This actually got me started to think about the most annoying roles by a leading actress in movies. My earliest memory of such a stupid role came in the movie Ninaithen Vandhaai by Devayani. I still vividly remember her shrieking voice from the movie which made me scratch my head every time she uttered a dialog. Jyothika was another actress who got on my nerves with her antics and thus every single movie with her in the lead role annoyed me to no ends, though I will have to call her 'performance' in Kushi as the one that annoyed me the most. So, dwelling further on this, I decided to come up with the following poll.

Which performance by a lead actress in a Tamil move annoyed you the most? Basically, got on your nerves the most and single-handedly brought down your opinion of the movie.


Personally, it was a close call between Asin in Dasavatharam and Nayanthara in Ghajini. But then, the presence of some redeeming features in an otherwise decent Ghajini made me to vote for Asin in Dasavatharam.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Filby,
This is bad... Reema Sen in Vallavan was much better than Shriya in Sivaji or Nayanthara in Chandramukhi. I really thought Nayanthara has stammering issues, but later got clarified that it is her "PERFORMANCE".

After seeing S.J Surya's movies, I would forgive Jo for Kushi's performance, as her acting is a reflection of SJS' instruction.

BTW, when you get a chance, see this movie - "Vasanthakala Paravaikal" - starring Ramesh Arvind. I was pleasantly surprised when Vish could recognize the movie :-)

Subha

12:22 PM, October 16, 2008  
Blogger Filbert said...

Subha,

This is a too much! If you think Shreya in Sivaji was irritating, then this would be an endless list, to include the roles of all the leading actresses in 90% of our movies :)

Nayanthara in Chandramukhi - I did think about it but then it would have been an overdose of Nayanthara.

Vasanthakaala paravaigal - the name does ring a bill. Will check it out!!

3:23 PM, October 16, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Filby, if Shriya's role had been as miniscule as Soundarya's in Padayappa, I would have accepted it.

For a Rajini as well as a
Shankar movie, she really had quite some scenes. She showed no emotions with the beautiful big eyes :-(

I did not feel Reema to be unbearable, may be the presence of other specimens in the screen eclipsed it :-)

10:09 AM, October 17, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee, first time visitor. But with this - "Jyothika was another actress who got on my nerves with her antics and thus every single movie with her in the lead role annoyed me to no ends" - I think I'll be a repeat visitor here.

Haven't seen any of the movies in the list, except a few non-Nayan scenes in Ghajini.

Not sure if Suganya in 'Aaha' counts as a leading lady, but the entire theatre applauded when we learn she has blood cancer (or some other fatal disease.) It was hilarious!

2:23 AM, October 18, 2008  
Blogger Filbert said...

Subha, from when did heroines in a Shankar movie have anything substantial to do? Going by your login, I think Aishwarya in Jeans was actually more annoying than Shreya in Sivaji :)

1:40 PM, October 19, 2008  
Blogger Filbert said...

Thanks for the comment Prakash and glad that we share the same thoughts on Jyothika.

I do remember Suganya in Aahaa and I don't think you are alone in saying that the role was annoying. Her dialog delivery is what made that role look too artificial and thus did not get the sympathy it deserved to generate from the audience.

1:43 PM, October 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aish is another thread, where our opinion do match.

I felt shriya had quite a few scenes like Sada in Anniyan. Thou' Sada was unbearable in other scenes yet she did a pretty decent job in the tax scene when she gets confused with the dual perosnality.

Shriya's role was not as miniscule as Urmila's (Indian)/ Manisha's(Mudhalvan), where their presence was too superfluous. Apart from the songs, she did have some opportunity and as usual she gave the same stoic look.

3:40 PM, October 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Filby,
Is there a way to see the poll results?

4:18 PM, October 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All type of indian photo galleries without logos,
http://www.okgot.com/Telugu.asp

5:17 AM, November 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home