Monday, April 03, 2006

It takes more than just courage…


This picture above is from the website www.oviyaas.com, hosted by a batch mate of mine I didn’t even know of from Anna university. Looks like after the completion of his BE from CEG, he went on to become an artist by profession. Got this link from my friend in an email.

Looking at some of the pictures in the site, I went 'Wow!!' Some of them just too good, especially the natural sceneries gallery. And the best thing to emerge out of my knowledge of this site is this: wedding gifts. The one issue we (implying a group of friends joining together) have been problems in the recent past is what to gift to our friends for their weddings. Invariably, the one thing we have ended up gifting on most occasions is : silver kuthuvilakku. This is a gift that I hate to give but somehow my friends in India reasoned to me that it is a valuable gift that will never go useless. I am sure many of you might have gifted the same to your friends too. (How I wish we have the same 'Wedding registry' that they have here). And here he suggests a very good alternative of gifting the couple, a picture of them together. Obviously, this is not going to be possible on the wedding day since we wont be able to get a picture of the couple until the wedding together and hence this gift can not be given on wedding day. But even then, I guess this is a gift that will be worth the wait for the couple.

Do check out the pictures in the site, which has his contact details too. This guy is really talented. More than that, what is really amazing is to see people like him, who pursue their dreams in the fields in which they are really interested. Another of my batch mates from MIT went on to become an assistant director in films (he was one of the assistant directors to Gautham Menon in Kaakka Kaakka and is currently working in Jillendru Oru Kaadhal, again as an assistant director. I am just waiting for the day he becomes a director by himself). Coming back to the topic of this post, during my next India trip, I am going to have portraits of Thalaivar and Sachin painted by him. That would be a wonderful collection to have at home!!

Here’s saluting the courage and the never-say-die perseverance of Thangapandi. Coming on the heels of Sarath, this is another truly inspirational story. Way to go, guys!!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Subha Srini said...

Filby,
The picture is so damn real. This reminds me of my neighbour who was an avid fan of Illayaraja and presented the potrait he drew, to the maestro himself !!

BTW, I dont mind getting another wedding gift from u folks :-))

- Subha

10:08 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Yeah Subha, some of them were just unbelievable. It should have been an experience of a lifetime for your neighbour. I guess Ilaiyaraja's portrait would be awesome in an oil painting canvas which is what he has used extensively. And now that you have hinted it, there surely would be another gift from the Nays group :)

11:30 AM, April 04, 2006  
Blogger Bharani said...

The Gift idea will be really useful to me..Finding it very difficult to select a gift now-a-days.

8:37 PM, April 04, 2006  
Blogger Balaji said...

wow truly awesome paintings filbert. u were right about the sceneries. amazing the way he has even conveyed depth of field in some of the paintings!

and that issue of finding the right wedding gift for friends was spot on :)

10:59 PM, April 04, 2006  
Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

Really awesome pictures filbert. I agree Balaji about the depth of scenary pictures.

Gift idea is nie. I will go for this in future..

2:32 AM, April 05, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

True Bharani. Every friend's wedding results in a lengthy discussion with other friends on what to gift. Wedding gifts are probably the toughtest thing to agree upon among friends.

10:28 AM, April 05, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Yeah Balaji, same with the paintings of personalities too. They are so much full of lie and they look so real too. About the wedding gifts thing - in fact I wanted to have the title of the post to say "Looking for a wedding gift...this could help" :)

10:37 AM, April 05, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

karthik, I guess we all should try this as a wedding gift. The prices too are affordable. You can email him or call him for details.

10:42 AM, April 05, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Sollittaa pochu Sesh. But I would like him to draw the picture of Thalaivar that I posted on Thalaivar's bday. That would be just awesome.

3:51 PM, April 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home