Friday, March 24, 2006

India trip movies reviews - Part I

Paramasivam - The first thing that stuck my mind after watching this movie was the mistake Thalaivar had committed by selecting this worthless director P.Vasu to make Chandramukhi. He should probably be the most out-dated director in the industry right now. Many of the so-called fight scenes were just big jokes. Easily the worst of the 9 films that I watched during my trip. Ajith needs to learn that there is something called middle path. He either bloats like a balloon or reduces weight to look like a drumstick. I fell asleep for the major part of the movie and even in the very few scenes I was awake, I thoroughly disliked the movie. One such scene which I was unfortunate to watch was the bike chase scene which was picturized in the most amateurish of ways. I just could not control my laughter on seeing that chase scene. But the bad news about the movie is that it has been termed a hit, mainly bcos Aadhi and Saravana did abjectly bad at the BO. I am sure Thirupathi is going to be even more worse than this. All we can do is place our hopes on Bala to revive Ajith's rapidly falling career.

Chithiram Pesudhadi - Went to watch the movie in hopes that this will turn out to be a silent hit, like say Kaadhal and Sethu. Reason I had to bring these 2 movies here is bcos there was absolutely no publicity for this movie. The posters of the movie had some class to them and the name itself was poetic, which all made me go & watch the movie. Unlike how Balaji here and many other reviewers have felt (that this is very good movie), I felt that this was just an above average movie. Personally, I can sum up my thoughts about the movie by saying this The movie would have been great if not for the lead pair. The heroine was actually good but whoever dubbed for her spoilt the whole show. Many of the dialogues by the heroine were delivered in such a high screeching pitch that I was not even able to comprehend what she was saying. Then comes the biggest negative point of the movie - the hero. Being non-expressive is not a sin, but then he needs to show atleast the bare minimum emotions. All through the movie, his actions reminded me of Vikram's body language in Pithamagan, only that Chithan was a well-defined character with a weird streak while this guy was a normal person. Many a time it has happened before that we find the movie as such pretty good but the performances of the lead pair douse any positive thoughts that we had about the movie.

That brings me to the movie by name Vaanam vasappadum, the P.C.Sriram directed movie based on some novel. It was a heroine centric movie but PC had committed the cardinal sin of selecting a complete misfit person for the role of heroine. She was so bad that I could not enjoy one bit of an otherwise OK movie.

I had the same problem with this movie. The one gaanaa song (Vaala meenukkum) featuring Malavika is being telecast like crazy in SUN Music (a good 10 times a day) is very enjoyable and with some interesting lyrics, dealing with different kinds of fishes. But Malavika was such a misfit for an item number, what with her famed mannerism of watching the camera all the time. Overall, this was the 4th best out of the movies that I watched during the trip, with RDB, Dishyum and Sandaikozhi occupying the first 3 slots.

Thambhi - Madhavan badly needs a movie under his mentor Mani Rathnam or needs to take a 'Acting for dummies' crash course. He looks completely out of sorts in this action oriented role. The way he slightly slants his head and gives that "deer in front of headlights" look with his eyes whenever he is angry, is just so ridiculous. But having said all that, I will have to say that he was not as bad as Aravind Swamy in Thaalattu :) As Balaji points out here, though the movie had some very noble intentions - like campaigning against viloence which we have seen in more famous movies like Kuruthipunal & Devar Magan & egging for a career in public service like that was suggested in RDB - the way they were implemented on-screen were downright childish and amatuerish. To me, the only highlight/ consolation of the movie was the presence of Poooja. Not that she had a meaty role, but having become a fan of her, just watching her gave me so much satisfaction. The biggest surprise - Vikatan has given a completely undeserving 43 marks for a trash of movie it was. The tagline for the movie says Thambhi - pEranbum perunkOvamum kondavan. I would beg to differ from that and instead I came up with this: Thambhi – Porumaiyai sodhippavan

13 Comments:

Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

Really Paramasivan is a illogical movie, as said by all reviewers. But able to manage and attract the B and C center makkal and also did very good at BO...

Thambi is a good movie with good theme. But the way it was shot is matters. But even worthful of watching it, when compared other baseless movies

3:41 AM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Balaji said...

wow seeing the movies in india really brought out the critic in you :)

looks like i liked all 3 more than u(i liked CP a lot more than u for sure!). i enjoyed 'paramasivan' since it was a throwback to the 70s Jaishankar/MGR kinda film. i liked 'thambi' for its message. and i liked CP for a lotta reasons as i said in my review :) but u're right about malavika being a misfit for that song. her dress and her bad dancing and her expressions all sucked big time!!

3:04 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

True Karthikeyan. Thambi was better than movies like Paramasivan. But somehow Madhavan put me off very badly. Paramasivan might have done good bcos of the fact that both Aadhi and Saravana flopped big-time.

4:35 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Andrew, Paramasivan was a hopeless film. But if it was a movie that was made to look like a hit movie, so are many movies by Vijay. I am no Ajith fan but we have to take the fact that Paramasivan is a average grosser and did much better than Aadhi & Saravana at the BO.

4:36 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

May be you are true Balaji. Watching the movie in a movie hall in our place amidst all the catcalls & ridicules probably does have an effect :)

Like I said above, Thambi appealed to me just a little bit better but Madhavan was a big disappointment, IMO. I liked CP definitely the best among these 3 movies but somehow could not convince myself to say that it is better than Dishyum, courtesy the hero :)

4:44 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger மீனாக்ஸ் | Meenaks said...

Hey Filby, where did the "Malavika fan" inside you go man? I still remember the nick name you had for her ;-)

8:13 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Preethi said...

Filby, nice short reviews. According to me, "Chithiram Pesuthadi" was a good effort but I do agree with U abt the hero. He cud have definitely done better. And I completely agree with U abt "Thambi". It cud have made it Big for the good story line if not for Madhavan. He was a complete misfit for the role. And regarding "Paramasivam", I rather not talk abt it. (vaile nalla varudhu)...;)

8:26 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Meens, I never said she looked bad. It was only that she is a misfit for an item number. BTW, what was that nickname? May be you can email me that :)

10:26 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Preethi, the only thing that impressed me with Chithiram Pesuthadi was the well-kept secret that is revealed in the climax. With a better hero & a better dugging artist for the heroine, I would have liked the movie a lot better. As far as Paramasivan is concerned, Ajith can do better than selecting such beaten-to-death story by an outdated director.

10:58 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Andrew, I am not looking for reasons behind Aadhi's debacle or Paramasivan's success. I was just stating the trade fact. And if I were to take a survey from 10 people about any of Vijay's latest films, I would get the same answer too - Hopeless film :)

11:04 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger P.S. Suresh Kumar said...

Didn't see any of these movies, but cool revu. I heard people saying Madhavan was good in Thambi. Regd Ajith, i have decided not to watch any of his movies in future (except the one by Bala).
Chithitam pesudhadi is one i am looking forward to watch someday.

8:39 PM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Aamaam Sesh, few minutes into the movie, I realized my mistake of selecting Paramasivam to watch, of all the movies in Sathyam complex. Watching Dishyum was my original plan but since there were no tickets available, was forced to go to Paramasivan.

12:16 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

CP is one movie I would recommend you to watch. About Ajith, well-said Suresh. But K.S.Ravikumar always has the special knack of making films enjoyable to everyone. So, he might pull off a moderate hit in Godfather. Of course, me too looking forward to Naan Kadavul.

12:18 PM, March 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home