Friday, October 13, 2006

Best Cameos in Tamil cinema

While watching Devayani in Panchathanthiram sometime back, it occurred to me that I should blog about such cameos in Tamil cinema. To start with, it was kind of hard for me to arrive at a set criteria to classify a performance as a cameo. For example, let us take Aravind Swamy's role in Thalapathi or Prakash Raj's role in Kannathil Muthamittal or Madhavan's role in Anbe Sivam. While some may argue them to be cameos, I really think that is not the case. I thought we are confusing between guest roles and cameos there. IMO, cameos need to be defined by the number of minutes and the number of scenes that particular actor/actress comes on-screen. So, with that definition in mind, I came up with the following list, which in my opinion are the best cameos in Tamil cinema.

5) Jyothika - Vaali
This is probably not one of my favorite cameos but it is definitely a hugely popular one. This is a significant cameo bcos Jyothika has gone on to become one of the most enduring heroines of Tamil cinema and this cameo is where it all began for her. Though she looked kind of cute in this small role, I never expected to go this far in my wildest dreams.

4) Devayani - Panchathanthiram
Devayani was one of those actresses who had the potential (we could see that in movies like Bharathi) but was wasting all that in doing mostly meaningless roles (her highly irritating role in Ninaithen Vandhaai comes to my mind as I type this). In comes she in this cute little cameo in Panchathanthiram and changes my whole opinion about her. The scene involving her was easily the highlight scene of the whole movie. It is an absolute laugh riot. The fact that this performance of hers inspired me to write this post should justify placing of this cameo in this list.

3) Chiranjeevi - Maappillai
This is one charming cameo and easily the shortest in the list. The fight scene involving Chiranjeevi and his comment to Thalaivar on seeing Sri Vidhya at the wedding stage are both memorable scenes for me. Having the superstar and the megastar share the screen is bound to be magical and that is what precisely it turned out to be. But I am guessing this is the one cameo which many would disagree with, too

2) Prabhu - Anjali, Priyanka & Anna Nagar Mudhal Theru
Prabhu to me is probably the best when it comes to these cameos. He has done so many of these and it was tough for me to narrow down one of his cameos as his best. Take for example, his cameo in Mannan. Though he just comes for a few fleeting seconds, he leaves a lasting impression through his camaraderie with Thalaivar. But Mannan was just a light-hearted cameo. His roles in Anjali & Priyanka, to me, still remain the best cameos in the history of Tamil cinema, of course with the exception of the number 1 in this list. In fact, Prabhu is so good at cameos that his best cameos are better than his best roles as the leading actor.

1) Karthick - Mouna Raagam
This is a choice probably everyone would agree with. This is the most evergreen of cameos. We can even go to the extent of saying that this is how a perfect cameo should be constructed. Karthik should forever be grateful to Mani Rathnam for offering a role like this. If there is something that the phrase 'sweeping you off your feet' would fit, then this cameo has to be it.

Other notable cameos that I can remember and which I contemplated on including in the list (in no particular order):

Nagesh in Magalir mattum
Nizhalgal Ravi in Nayagan
Amala in Mella Thirandhadhu Kathavu
Aravind Swamy & Kushbu in Alaipaayudhe
Radhika in Jeans

Over to you guys. Agree/ disagree or just want to add some more to this list?

22 Comments:

Blogger Bharani said...

i like ajith's cameo in Nee Varuvaai Ena...nagesh in magalir mattum is legendary :)

4:07 PM, October 15, 2006  
Blogger மீனாக்ஸ் | Meenaks said...

ArvindSwamy in Alaipaayuthey should have been in the list, and not as an also ran. It was such a mature and sublime performance. What Karthik achieved with bubbling charm and enthusiasm in Mouna Raagam, ArvindSwamy did it in this role with an understated and moving performance.

Would you call Madhavan's role in Leysa Leysa a cameo? I would.

One also mustn't forget Kamalhaasan as the lawyer in the climax of Thillu Mullu. Fun riot.

Panchathanthiram has probably too many such stunning cameos - Nagesh as Yugi Sethu's father-in-law, Santhana Bharathi and Kovai Sarala as Simran's neighbourhood couple. Even Ramya Krishnan's role might be called a cameo with some stretching.

In some ways I would include the unforgettable 'DSP Alex Pandian' as a cameo, even though Thalaivar played other roles in the same film. The role was such a definitive guide book for strict and honest police officials.

I guess you have left out B&W movies in your list. Otherwise Nagesh in Thiruvilaiyaadal is a definite inclusion to the list, may be at the top. Even Sivaji Ganesan's cameo in Kandhan Karunai as Veerabagu is worth mentioning.

I couldn't remember, but I'm sure there are many more.

11:10 PM, October 15, 2006  
Blogger மீனாக்ஸ் | Meenaks said...

By B&W - I meant old movies. Thiruvilaiyaadal is a colour movie.

11:12 PM, October 15, 2006  
Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

Fibert, this list is very big.

1. I love Rajkiran role in Nandha. His acting is great and different.
2. Thalaivasal vijay in kokulaththil seethai. If you watch, his character is really different and he portrayed it well.
3. Arjun in kuruthipunal.
4. Naasar in Avvai Shanmugi
5. Vadivelu in thevar magan..

You are coming with really good topics on tamil cinema..Very interested Filbert.

8:18 AM, October 16, 2006  
Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

Meenaks,
//Kamalhaasan as the lawyer in the climax of Thillu Mullu// is a good one.. As I said, its tough to complete the list..

8:20 AM, October 16, 2006  
Blogger Balaji said...

great topic... i know it isn't a tamil film but for me the best cameo was thalaivar in 'peddarayudu'. truly scene-stealing and exhilarating to watch...

2:26 PM, October 16, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Bharani,

'Nee Varuvaai Ena' padam full-aa paarthadhu illa. So, cant recall Ajith's cameo in that movie. But like you said, Nagesh's role in Magalir Mattum was pure class. What a huge impace that dead character left on us. Truly amazing...

3:01 PM, October 16, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Meenakshi,

I actually included Kamal in Thillu Mullu in the list below. I actually had 8 of them but then finally decided to prune it down to 5. BTW, it was a pretty cool observation on how Panchathanthiram as a movie is an assortment of cameos.

B&W movies - yeah, I havent seen many of them and naturally, this cant recall such roles from them.

DSP Alex Pandian would have made a very interesting entry in this list. I completely agree with that though.

3:10 PM, October 16, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Karthik,

All but one of your suggestions were actually very good. Only when everyone of you come up with your own list, I am like "How did I miss that one?". Raj Kiran in Nandha is a memorable cameo. But Arjun in Kuruthipunal, I think, is more of a full-fledged role than a cameo.

3:12 PM, October 16, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Thanks Balaji. I would have loved to tag you on this one :) Did not want to force you but may be, some day you can come up with your favorite list. Thalaivar in Petharaayudu is a great addition to that list. Exhilarating is the most apt word :)

3:14 PM, October 16, 2006  
Blogger Subha Srini said...

filbert, I would have included Srividhya's role in "kadhalukku mariyadhai". I felt that the movie's success was mainly b'cos of her brilliant performance.

3:59 PM, October 16, 2006  
Blogger மீனாக்ஸ் | Meenaks said...

The confusion on whether a role is a cameo or not must be resolved by defining a cameo. Of course, the role must have a short presence on the screen. Plus, in my opinion, the first and last scene of the character must occur within a short time span. i.e. the role must come in a burst at some point of the movie and end pretty soon. The best example is thalaivar in Betharaayudu or Karthik in Mounaragam. The character must be gone but the impact/consequence must be felt by the others.

What are your views?

11:35 PM, October 16, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Subha, Agree with you about the impact of Sri Vidhya's role in Kadhalukku Mariyaadhai. It was her role which actually sets up that unforgettable climax. But then, though she comes on-screen only for a few number of scenes, her scenes are spread throughout the film (almost right from the very first scene to the climax) and so I would not call that a cameo!

7:41 AM, October 17, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Completely agree with you Meens, especially on the impact left by that character. That is why I wouldnt call Arjun's role in Kurudhipunal a cameo (though he is there only for a few scenes, I can only recall him as Kamal's sidekick). On the other hand, Karthick's role in Mouna Raagam was even better than Mohan's role (impact of a classic cameo) :)

7:51 AM, October 17, 2006  
Blogger Preethi said...

Filby,

A very good list of Best cameo's in Tamil cinema. My fav among ur list (or any list for that matter) will be Kartik's role in "Mouna Raagam". It is THE best cameo of all times. My second fav is also sealed...Nagesh's role in "Magalir Mattum". Only a true legend can pull off such an amazing performance. My favorites list wud also include:

1) 'Shivaji' Ganesan - "Devar Magan"
2) Nagesh - "Nammavar"

12:59 PM, October 17, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Preethi,

More than the list that I came up with, I guess the list of movies that everone came up with here in the comments section was more complete. Nagesh in Nammavar is a nice suggestion too. But I think Sivaji's role in Devar Magan was too powerful & complete to call it a cameo. To call it a cameo would be bringing the stature of that amazing role down :)

6:38 PM, October 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice list (both in your post and in the comments). It is surprising that not a single cameo comes to mind that fits your definition of it....

7:20 PM, October 17, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Surprised Suresh. Being the credible movie buff that you are, I am sure you can come up with your own list. But I guess the ones in my list and in the comments section proved to be very exahustive :)

7:56 AM, October 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Ramesh Arvind's role in Rhythm? Jyothika's role was also a cameo but RA definitely did add energy to the proceedings. The impact: Meena's reason to have adopted a baby sounded quit apt.

3:34 PM, October 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Filby this is great job

2:53 AM, October 23, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Ramesh Aravind's role in Rhythm - that was a good suggestion, Anon. Rhythm is one of my all-time favorite movies and I am surprised that I left out that cameo from that movie. Though I would probably not disturb the top 5 cameos in my list, I would definitely add this to the lower list of honorable mentions. He sure was energetic and left his impact on the story.

8:39 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

That is true, Zero. Nagesh (and IMO I will add Prabhu too) rock, when it comes to these cameos. I liked your mention of that brothel lady in Mahanadhi. Hers was like an oasis in a desert kind of role, which truly was heart-warming.

After al the discussion that has gone on here, I guess I probably will have to come up with a post for the best supporting roles. Sivaji in Thevar magan would top my list then...

9:21 AM, October 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home