Monday, November 20, 2006

My New Phone - Blackberry Pearl


It is amazing on how the life expectancy of cell phones here hovers around the 1 year mark (or it could also be the itch of wanting a new cell phone every 12 months). In my case, while I was still sitting on the idea of whether to upgrade my phone or not, rain played a 'blessing in disguise' act. When we were playing cricket 2 weeks back in pouring rain, my old cell phone got wet and gradually, in a matter of few days stopped working completely. So, hurray!!! Time to get my hands around a new phone. This time around, I did not even look for any other phones since ever since I read about the reviews of the Blackberry Pearl, I had decided that it was going to be my next cell phone. So, after I got the chance to take a look at it physically from one of my friends, I was just waiting for the day when I could upgrade my phone.

I am no gizmo freak and thus I look for only the basic features from a cell phone. And the pearl has all the features that I want in a phone – has a speaker option, bigger screen, plays mp3, takes pictures (first Blackberry phone with a camera), has bluetooth connectivity, you can check your emails and browse the internet (of course, with the data plan). Unlike the previous Blackberry phones which were bulky & more importantly didn’t look like a normal phone, the Pearl is small, very sleek and way too light & thin. The trackball (similar to the mini-joystick we have in Sony Ericsson phones) is one of the many highlights of the phone. It is like a mouse and so all you have to do to navigate is to roll your finger over the trackball. The navigation using the trackball is so effortless. The next thing I have loved so far about the phone is its amazing & crystal-clear display (it is a 2.25 inch TFT screen). Even the most important aspects of any phone – signal reception & call quality – is pretty good when compared to my previous Moto ROKR phone. So, if you are on the lookout for a new phone, try this. It is worth the hype that was generated before its release.

Small trivia about the phone: The reason why it called a Pearl is bcos of the trackball which resembles a pearl.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Balaji said...

no mention of the price? :)

10:31 AM, November 20, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

I thought about writing about the price like the last time, Balaji but last time around, I bought the phone without any plan. This time I actually upgraded my phone with my current plan. Anyway, if you are getting a new connection, then it is even available for free with a 2 year contract in couple of websites. In my case, I bought it for 150$ from T-Mobile.

12:01 PM, November 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good choice...always black is best

10:18 PM, November 20, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Thanks anon. Black is most people's choice when it comes to cellphone color, I guess.

5:46 AM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger Bharani said...

Looks cool....Ensay Pannunga :))

7:38 AM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Thanks Bharani. If you get a chance, try to lay your hands on the phone. I am sure you will like it.

12:41 PM, November 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a maroon blackberry pearl! Love the phone, love love love! the one thing is the texting, I'm with alltel and this phone wont let you send or recieve pic, video or audio message via text, I got a memory card, send pics and such to emails, all and all I love it, $79.00 after mail in rebate.
Vickie

3:39 AM, August 06, 2008  
Anonymous Salvatiry Carlino said...

A blessing in disguise, indeed. Never thought they'd actually use the name pearl because of its trackball. I agree that this one looks different from the previous BB models.

11:32 AM, October 19, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home