Monday, November 06, 2006

Weekend Movies - Sigappu Rojakkal and Fiza

Sigappu Rojakkal - I don’t really remember watching this movie even once before. All the other classics/ famous movies from yesteryears, I would have atleast seen them once many years back. But this is one movie I have missed for some reason. And after watching it over the weekend, I was glad that I didn’t watch it all these days. This was movie making at its worst. I simply can not believe how this movie has been given a cult status as far as thriller movies are concerned. I guess the one reason why this movie is popular even today is bcos of the fact that may be the theme the movie handled should have been path breaking during those days, a good 28 years before. But everything else about the movie was just badly executed. Bharathiraja is abject bad when it comes to handling thrillers like these. I have seen that in movies like Captain Magal, Tic Tic Tic & even Oru Kaidhiyin Dairy was nothing to rave about and my experience of watching Sigappu Rojakkal only goes on to confirm the same. The only memory I will carry out from this movie would be the Ninaivo Oru Paravai song and Kamal's raw rendition of the song. I have read some bloggers comment on how during the early days of their careers Thalaivar did more quality movies than Kamal and how Thalaivar's performances were better than Kamal's. A good example is Kamal's performance in this one, which is very ordinary and Thalaivar in Mullum Malarum. I am bringing in Mullum Malarum here bcos it is the movie that got released in the same year as this one was released. If one were to compare their performances in these 2 movies, Thalaivar beats Kamal by a long way. Overall, a very disgusting & forgettable movie and another reason why Bharathiraja should stick to his forte - movies based on rural themes.

Fiza - I had missed seeing this movie when it was released, even though I had wanted to see this bcos it carried some good reviews. The songs of the movie were a huge hit back then and inspite of them, the movie didn’t do all that well at the box office. The one thing which took everyone by surprise was Hrithik's decision to act in a wannabe art movie like this, right after he had made his debut with a bang in the completely commercial Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai. This movie was good, with a serious storyline and a decent execution overall. If not for some of the songs that hindered the narration, this movie would have been better. The story of this movie is simple and revolves around Kareena, her brother Hrithik and their mom Jaya Bachan. Their peaceful life is disrupted by the 1993 Bombay riots and when caught in a riot in the neighborhood, Hrithik runs away into oblivion. Kareena finally finds him after a search of 6 years in a terrorist organization and even though she brings him home, he finds it hard to live with the guilt of killing people, in the normal society. All this sets up a chilling climax which was pretty well done. The movie had some great songs, with a single song contribution from ARR. The background score has been done by Rahman's assistant, Ranjit Bharot. Decent watch, this one.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

// If one were to compare their performances in these 2 movies, Thalaivar beats Kamal by a long way.//

Yes Filbert. Thalaivar did wonderful movies than kamal in his earlier days. You are very true.

And I hope NinaivO oru paravai song is the first song got released with kamal's own voice

11:15 AM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

Filbert, I hope there was some error in blogger nowadays in comments section. The previous comment is by me only.

11:16 AM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger மீனாக்ஸ் | Meenaks said...

In Fiza, Karisma Kapoor played the role of Hrithik's sister, not Kareena. Kareena is the younger sister of Karisma.

9:35 PM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

I guess you are right about the Ninaivo Oru Paravai song, Karthik. That's what I too have heard before. Kamal in Sigappu Rojakkal was clearly over-acting and it easily remains one of his sub-par performances.

I have been seeing issues with the commenting in beta version of blogger, too. Some problem with the cookies, I guess.

7:47 AM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Yeah Meens, that was a typo. More than Hrithik, I will remember this movie for Karishma. I have always liked Karishma more than Kareena and thought Karishma is a far better performer than Kareena.

7:50 AM, November 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home