Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Best Songs of the Year 2006

Its that time of the year when everyone around comes up with their best of the year list in various fields. Like I did last year, this is my best songs of the year 2006 post. As usual, I had couple of self-imposed restrictions when I arrived at this list:

1) All these songs should fit in a 80 min CD
2) No film can have more than 1 song in this list

The other problem that I faced was that some of the good albums that were released last year had their films released only this year. For example, Pudhupettai, Sandaikozhi, etc. These albums were released in 2005 but the respective movies were released only this year. Finally, I decided that I am going to arrive at this list based only on albums that were released this year.

So, here goes my Best of 2006 compilation CD

1) Oru maattram oru maattram from Naalai (4:13) - Karthik raja at his vintage best
2) Loosu penne from Vallavan (6:47)- Yuvan Simbhu combo rocks again
3) Manjal Veyil maalaiyile from Vettaiyaadu Velaiyaadu (5:47)- Harris Jeyaraj Gautham Menon combo completes a hat-trick
4) Munbe vaa from Jillendru Oru Kaadhal (5:52)- Easily ARR's best melody in a long time
5) Nenjaankoottil from Dishyum (4:33)- Instantly catchy melody from Vijay Antony
6) Unnai paartha from By2 (Iruvar Mattum) (3:00)- My vote for the best song of the year
7) Uruguthe maruguthe from Veyil (5:49)- GV Prakash impresses in his debut album, soul-stirring song
8) Aanum Pennum aadhiyile from Uyir (5:48)- Joshua Sridhar carries forward his awesome work from Kaadhal
9) Idhu kaadhal Kaadhal from Vattaaram (5:05)- the ever dependable Charan - Bharadwaj combo delivers a melody again
10) Attrai thingal vaanidam from Sivappathigaaram (4:26)- Seriously, can anyone beat this guy when it comes to composing melodies
11) Sudum nilavu from Thambi (4:11) - Another clinching proof of the above statement
12) Aiyyaiyyo from Paruthiveeran (4:34)- Soulful melody from Yuvan
13) Edhedho ennangal vandhu from Pattiyal (4:11)- like this in spite of botched up singing by Yuvan
14) Un Paarvaiyil from SSUE (5:56)- simple but foot-tapping melody from DSP
15) Unnai kandene Mudhal murai from Paarijaatham (4:53)- catchy song form the debutant MD Dharan
16) Unnaale Unnaale from Unnaale Unnaale (4:43) – Nobody beats Harris Jeyaraj when it comes to composing instantly catchy numbers.

The total running time of all these songs came to an awesome 79:59, just 1 second less than my self-imposed limit. Other Best of 2006 music awards IMO:

Best Music director: Vijay Antony (By2 and Dishyum)
Best album: By2
Best song: Unnai paartha from By2

As always, would love to hear your list and your comments on any good song I might have missed out.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

Really a good work Filbert..

All are my favorite also..except By2..I didn't hear any songs from that movie :-(

6:59 PM, December 28, 2006  
Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

இனிய புத்தாண்டு வாழ்த்துக்கள் நண்பரே..

இந்த வருடத்தில் கிடைத்த உங்கள் நட்பு எனக்கு மகிழ்ச்சியை தருகிறது. பரந்து விரிந்த இந்த உலகத்தில் நம்மை சேர்த்து வைத்த இந்த பிளாக்கருக்கு நன்றி.

இந்த புதிய வருடத்தில் ஆண்டவனிடன் நீங்கள் வேண்டும் யாவும் கிடைக்கப்பெற்று, நல்ல ஆரோக்கியத்துடன் நீங்களும் உங்களும் குடும்பத்தினரும் எல்லா வித இன்பங்களும் கிடைக்கப் பெற்று வாழ வாழ்த்துக்கள். தாங்கள் பணிபுரியும் அலுவலகத்தில் மேலும் மேன்மை அடைந்து சிறக்க வாழ்த்துக்கள்

6:59 PM, December 28, 2006  
Blogger Bharani said...

Hey Filbert...Ennoda collection-a neenga suttu potuteenga :)

I totally agree with you on By2...Superba melodies..i like azhaga azhaga also.

Ennaku thiruvilayaadal-la kooda rendu songs pudichi iruku....though the tunes reminds of some old illayaraja hits....

Appuram udayam 2006-nu oru ramgopal varma padathula illayaraja potu iruka new song onnu super-a iruku..sung by shreya goshal....

7:45 PM, December 28, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Kandippaa By2 songs kElunga, Karthik. I bet you will like them on the first listening bcos thats what happened to me.

10:26 AM, December 29, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Thanks for the kind wishes, Karthik. Wishes from my end too, for a very prosperous and thoroughly enjoyable new year. Like you said, I guess we should be thankful to Blogger for our friendship. Oru long weekend trip Seattle pakkamaa pOdunga :)

10:35 AM, December 29, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Bharani, good to see that our lists almost match. I love every song in the By2 album. Azhaga Azhaga song will be in my Best of 2006 - Vol 2 CD :) Haven't listened to the Thiruvilaiyaadal Aarambam songs yet. Will try to do it soon..

About the Udhayam 2006 song - yeah, I have heard the Hindi version of it and I loved it. I would have added it here in my list, if it had not been a dubbed song.

10:36 AM, December 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Filbert,

Good selections...

I would remove 2 of them... (2) and (16)
vallavan "lUsu pennE" has been a great hit... But for some reason, I dont like that song...
"unnalE unnalE" - It isnt first time catchy tune... I wasnt impressed much... I should admit I didnt listen that many times...

Try these songs too, if you havent tried. I felt these are also good ones

1. en kAthali (murugA)
2. nilavai sutri (madhu)
3. kangAL thEduthE - sadhana version (manathOdu mazhai kAlam)
4. thaiyathaa thaiyathaa (thiruttu payalE)
5. poi solla pOrEn (thiruttu payalE)
6. kuRai ondRum illai (reNdu)
7. mugilE mugilE (araN)
8. ithu enna vAzhkai (AchchAriyA)
9. AhAyam AhAyam (chiththiram pEsuthadi)
10. idam poruL pArththu (chiththiram pEsuthadi)
11. thIyil vizhuntha (God Father)
12. chiththiraiyil enna (sivappathigAram)

All the best for your second CD compilation :)

12:36 PM, December 29, 2006  
Blogger Balaji said...

Nice compilation. But that "only 1 song per movie" condition is just too restrictive. I can never pick just 1 song from an album like 'pudhuppettai' or 'vettaiyaadu vilaiyaadu' :)

Wish u a very happy and prosperous 2007 :)

9:41 AM, January 02, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

That was a good compilation, Rathin. I in fact wrote another CD for the second best songs of 2006 and I had some of these songs (numbers 2, 4 and 12) in that CD.

I kind of agree with you on Loosu Penne. The tune is no great shakes but somehow I was so impresed with the rapping and Simbu's singing in that song. But Unnaale Unnaale was pretty catchy for me and so I had to list it there.

1:09 PM, January 02, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Yeah Balaji, I know it is a tough constraint to follow. Many of my friends have felt the same too. In addition to the 2 albums that you have noted, all these following albums could have easily had 1 more song in the list - Jillendru Oru Kaadhal, Pattiyal, Sivappathigaaram, Naalai, By2

Thanks for the new year wishes, Balaji. Wishing you & your family the same too. Looking forward to another year of great blogging from you:)

1:13 PM, January 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home