Friday, July 27, 2007

Best Of T.Rajendar playlist

Few months ago, I was doing a series of posts on playlists of some of the popular music directors in Tamil and keeping up with my tradition of consistency in being inconsistent, was unable to continue posting for all the music directors. But couple of weeks ago, I read somewhere that in his forthcoming film Kettavan, Simbhu is planning to remix the Raakkaala velaiyila song from Mythili Ennai Kaadhali and that is when I listened to that song, which I had completely forgotten, again and it was as catchy as it used to be when I listened to it all those years ago. That is when I thought I should definitely write a post on the best songs of the versatile T. Rajendar.

We have seen so many heroes/ directors who have gone from hero to zero in the Tamil film industry (R.V.Udhaya Kumar, Ramarajan come to my mind instantly) but here is one guy who has become from something of an icon to almost a laughing stock for the current Tamil film followers. It is actually sad to see him do movies like Veerasami and make himself a butt of ridicule of so many jokes & mockeries. I really feel that he is (or I should rather say, was) too talented to do movies like these. But his actions in both the fields - political & cinema - have made things only worse.

Anyway, his music (from that 80s, that is) is something that I have always loved. I have always felt that his music is the closest that has come to the Maestro's songs from the 80s. Some of the songs from his hey days, you would have trouble believing that they are by TR and not actually by the Maestro. Listen to the way the Vaigai karai kaattrae song starts or the guitar usage in Vasantham paadi vara and you will understand I am saying.

Like with all my playlist series, one of the conditions while coming up with this list is that they all should fit in a 80 min audio CD. I had to relax my other preset condition that there can be only one song from a movie since there are just few movies of TR (less than 10) that I have listened to. So, here is my best of T.Rajendar CD compilation.

Indira logathu sundari raathiri kanavil vandhaalo from Uyir Ullavarai Usha
Vaigai karai kaattrae nillu from Uyir Ullavarai Usha
Endhan paadalgalil nee neelaambari from Uravai Kaatha Kili
Noolumillai vaalumillai from RayilPayanangalil
Vasantha kaalangal isaindhu paadungal from RayilPayanangalil
Vasantham paadi vara from RayilPayanangalil
Salangai Ittal oru maadhu from Mythili Ennai Kaadhali
Kanneeril moozhgum odam from Mythili Ennai Kaadhali
Engum mythili edhilum mythili from Mythili Ennai Kaadhali
Idhu kuzhandhai paadum thaalaattu from Oru Thalai Raagam
Kadavul vaazhum koyilile from Oru Thalai Raagam
Vaasamillaa malaridhu from Oru Thalai Raagam
Pookkala thaan parikkaadheenga from Pookkalai Parikkaadheergal
Moongil kaattoram from Pookkal Vidum Thoodhu (Mellifluous song with SPB at his best)
Kadhiravanai paarthu from Pookkal Vidum Thoodhu
Sollaama thaane from Oru Thaayin Sabatham
Moongilile paattisaikkum from Raagam Thedum Pallavi

Honorable mentions:
Aazhkadalil thathiluthu from Raagam Thedum Pallavi
Vizhigal medaiyaam from Kilinjalgal
Raakaala velaiyila from Mythili Ennai Kaadhali
En Aasai Mythiliye from Mythili Ennai Kaadhali
Amaidhikki peyar thaan shaanthi from Rayil Payanangalil

As always will look forward to your comments on any gems that I might have missed out.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said...

Hey Filbert,

A real coincidence that I also have the same in my Audio CD.. But, to mention, some of beat songs from koolikkaaran is also good to listen..

May be you can add one more song (i dont remember exactly) from poopoovaa pooththirukku

8:59 AM, July 30, 2007  
Blogger Balaji said...

i don't think u've missed any good songs but one thing i've felt is that SPB always seemed to be at his best for TR songs. His voice was just amazingly smooth and mellifluous in songs like 'salangaiyittaaL oru maadhu...' :)

5:19 PM, July 30, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Nice Karthick. This is one CD that I have been wanting to write for such a long time.

About the kuthu songs - Actually, he has composed so many such songs that they definitely deserve a separate playlist!! And I think that Koolikaaran song is Kuthuvizhakkaaga kulamagazhaaga. Its a nice one too.

8:13 PM, July 30, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Thats very true Balaji. I was going to mention the other way around - meaning, TR has used SPB for so many of his good songs. But I guess what you said in your comment was what made him choose SPB so frequently. To me, among the list, Salangai ittaal oru maadhu will come a close second to Moongil KattOram :)

8:16 PM, July 30, 2007  
Blogger P.S. Suresh Kumar said...

I don't whether ur list was restricted to only 80's songs of TR but among his recent songs, I like 'Kadhalae Kadhalae Varayo' sung well by Unnikrishnan and 'Hello Hello' from Monisha En Monalisa...

4:37 AM, August 07, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Yeah Suresh, kind of. I did think of adding the Hello hello song to the list but then decided against it bcos it would have been the only song that was not from his 80s repertoire. I haven't listened to the kaadhale kaadhale vaaraayo song, though. Will give it a listen.

10:49 AM, August 07, 2007  
Blogger ষষ্ঠ পাণ্ডব said...

I’m from Bangladesh. I do not know a single word of Tamil Language. In early eighties one of my uncle visited Singapore. On coming back to Dhaka, he brought some audio cassettes of Malay and Tamil songs. There I first heard “Indira Logathu Sundari” and “Vaigai karai kaatre nillu”. Although I did not understand the meaning of those songs, but the tune and melody of those songs enchanted me so much that still I try to hum those songs. It was not an easy job for me to find out those songs even by the aid of search engines (those cassettes were lost long long ago). But I kept trying to search those with the first line so far I could pronounce correctly. Finally I got clue of both of those songs from this website. Thanks a lot guys. I’ll be glad if anybody can send me lyrics and meaning of those songs. Please write to: jimbrown70ATgmail.com

Jim Brown
Dhaka, Bangladesh

2:49 AM, October 13, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home