Monday, July 16, 2007

Satham Podaathey & Thottal Poo Malarum - Yuvan's good form continues

Any 2-week stretch that sees the release of 2 albums from Yuvan is special and though this post comes late, I really did not want to not write anything about 2 good albums from Yuvan. The first thing that strikes you after listening to all the songs in these 2 albums is that Yuvan has not sung one song in its entirety in both the albums. He limits himself to a solo humming, a short rapping, joins the lead singer for a few lines and that is pretty much it. Usually whenever I start listening to any Yuvan album, I am anxious to find out whether Yuvan has spoiled a good song by his awful singing. So, with that major worry behind me, here is my take on the 2 new Yuvan albums:

Satham Podaathey - This is one of the Yuvan albums that I was looking forward to, ever since the project was announced sometime last year. Among all the contemporary directors, when it comes to extracting the best out of their music directors, I have always felt that Vasanth stands out clearly among everybody else. The reason why I rate him above the usual suspects like Mani Rathnam, Shankar, Selvaraghavan, Goutham Menon is very simple - all these directors have done it with mostly 1 or at the maximum, 2 different music directors. But Vasanth is one who gets the best out of any music director that he works with and that is his specialty. From the Maestro in Keladi Kanmani to the assorted composers in HNRAI, he has time & again gotten the best out of his MDs. Rhythm to me is definitely one of the best albums of Rahman whereas Aasai & Nerukku Naer (notwithstanding the lifts) are easily 2 of the best albums that Deva ever came up in his career. Even when Yuvan was just learning the ropes 7-8 years back, Vasanth got Yuvan to compose an amazing album - Poovellaam Kaettupar, which would surely rank among the top 5 albums from Yuvan. It is in this context that we need to judge Satham Podaathey, which IMHO falls definitely short of the expectations this album had generated among Yuvan fans.

It is not that the songs are mediocre. 4 out of the 5 songs are definitely good but except for Pesugiren and the Oh indha kaadhal songs, none of them can find their way into the awesome category and in an album of a Vasanth movie, that is precisely what one expects and definitely what a Yuvan fan like me expects. About the songs - Pesugiren pesugiren is easily my pick of the album. I am not sure who among the Viva girls has sung the Pesugiren song but it is too good. The saxophone bit in the interludes is amazing and soothing. And upon listening to the pallavi of the Oh indha kaadhal song, I was beginning to wonder sure why Adnan Saamy was roped in to sing this one. But it is in the charanams that Adnan Saami gets into his own and justifies Yuvan's decision. Anytime Yuvan uses some heavy beats, I love them. And here in this song, those heavy beats that he has used in the pallavi after the second charanam are just too good. Sudha Raghunathan's voice in Kaadhal periyadhaa is the only highlight. Endha Kudhiraiyil is a neatly-paced catchy song with Shreya Ghosal single-handedly carrying the song on her shoulders. That leaves us with Azhagu kutti chellam. The less said about it, the better. It could have been a way better song, if only the instruments that have been used were different. But something also tells me that this song might look good on-screen. We will have to wait on that one. Bottomline - Like I said earlier, definitely a let-down considering the pre-release expectations but nevertheless, an album whose CD will go into my Yuvan collection.

Thottaal poo malarum - I am not a big fan of P.Vasu (was in fact hating Thalaivar for selecting him as the director for Chandramukhi) and in spite of him being able to get some very good songs form the Maestro (& repeatedly at that), I was not looking forward to this album. Primary reason being the generation gap between Yuvan and P.Vasu. Vasu is one of the typical old school director who needs to stop directing movies (KB, Bharathiraja & even Balu Mahendra have joined the list long back). So, started listening to this album with no great expectations and will have to say that this album fulfills whatever expectations I had of this album. The Arabu Naade song is easily the best of this album. Just too good and rocks completely. One of those songs that will sweep you off the feet and leaves you wanting more. Haricharan is just mesmerizing. I simply loved the way he casually sings the lines 'Urudhu Kavignan Omar Khayyam-in kavidhaiyaa'. The lyrics gel perfectly with the tune of the song, with the lines 'Enakkirukkum sakthi..parasakhthi purinjukko' being my favorite. I should say that I was surprised that Vasu has been able to extract such a good song from Yuvan. Vittal sooriyani is a surprisingly good song, given the genre the song falls into - hero introduction number. It is groovy and Yuvan's rapping in between the charanams is pretty good. For me, I will carry these lines from the song - Meendum modhuvadhil Ghajni...Modhi velluvadhil Rajini. The prelude of Ennai pidicha is very curious but the song itself starts off very ordinarily but it is in the charanams where it gets beautiful. The oodallaa oodaa oodaa humming and the beautiful charanams more than make up for the rather ordinary tune of the song. Also, this is one of the songs which made me look up the name of female vocalist. Loved her voice. The Yuvan - Vijay Yesudoss combo is at it again in the Valaiyal karangal song. My second pick of the album and goes on to prove how Yuvan has mastered the knack of selecting songs perfectly suited for Vijay Yesudoss. His voice is so pristine and its a song that will grab your attention the very first time you listen to it. IMO, this song is actually as good as the Arabu Naade song. Kadathuren naan is your routine kuthu song. Definitely catchy but will go off your mind in a matter of days, rather than weeks. Vaadi vambu pennae song is actually good, without being great by any means. Overall, definitely a more-than-expected album from Yuvan, with the 2 songs in an endless repeat mode in my player.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Bharani said...

filbert....but on repeated listening...azhagu kutti chellam kooda nalla iruku....oru rendu thadava kelunga :)

thottal poo malarum-la ennaku arabu naade thavira vera onnum avlovaa pidikala...but am listening it again ang again....hoping some others will strike :)

5:54 AM, July 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Azhagu kutti chellam works coz of Shankar Mahadevans voice and the portions between the paragraphs. What you might find a little disconcerting are the first para lyrics, but the second and third stanzas more than make up for it.

9:13 AM, July 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arabu Naade, even though the actual song reminds me a little of a Nusrat Fateh song and the interludes remind of Merke Merke from Kanda Naal Mudhal, is an excellent song. And totally agree on the "modhi velluvathil rajni"... Hair on an end when I heard the line.

9:56 AM, July 17, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Bharani, romba naal aachu unga comment-a pathu :) Azhagu Kutti chellam definitely does have a good tune but something about the song makes me press the Skip button when the song starts.

About TPM - if not the other songs, please do listen to the Valaiyal karangalai song. I simply loved it. Vijay Yesudoss kuralukkaagave andha paatta kaekkalaam.

4:51 PM, July 17, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Anon 1, exactly my thoughts but for me, it is those very disconcerting moments that you have mentioned just puts me away. Shankar Mahadevan's voice is definitely a plus for the song. It was a song with a lot of potential but bcos of mishandling of instruments, fails to make the cut.

4:55 PM, July 17, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Didn't notice the interludes similarity with the Merke merke song (one of my Yuvan favorites BTW) Will give more attention to it the next time I listen to it. About the Modhi velluvadhil Rajini line - well said. Thalaivar pera kaetta udane chummaa pullarikkudhulla :)

4:59 PM, July 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Filby,

Pesugiraen song is rendered by Neha Bashin of VIVA girls. I liked only this song and Endha Kudhirayil, mostly for Shreya Ghoshal.

Check out the lyrics of Pesugiren. Too good.

9:03 PM, July 17, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Thanks for the info, Senthil. And you are right about Endha kudhiraiyil song - Shreya Ghosal holds that song up. But I would definitely suggest you to give a listen to the Oh...Indha kaadhal song. It is an enchanting song, which peps you up.

And I did listen to the lyrics of the Pesugiren song after your comment - they are very impressive. Thanks!!

3:41 PM, July 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I owe you an apology, a small portion sound like the "sudum veyil kodai kaalam" part from the pani thuli song from Kanda Naal Mudhal. But its very minutwe, almost unnoticeable. Information overload on my part!

3:54 PM, July 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Filby,

Let me listen 'Oh, Intha Kaadhal' again. When I listened to SP first, this song sounded like old pop songs by Yuvan, so didnt have a great opinion.

Anon,

You are right about the first interlude of Arabu Naade. The "sudum veyil kodai kaalam" part is quite obvious. I don't think that is unnoticable.

4:40 AM, July 19, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Yes Anon, those few notes in the first interlude does reminded me of the Sudum veyil kodai kaalam from the Pani thuli song. I really don't think it is information overload on your part :) I should have actually been more alert!!

11:29 AM, July 19, 2007  
Blogger Filbert said...

Senthil, I do kind of agree with your comment on how the Oh Indha kaadhal song sounded like the old pop songs from Yuvan. But I think using Adnan Saami in this one made all the difference. And those heavy beats after the 2nd charanam - I simply loved them, though they only come for a few fleeting seconds.

And thanks for letting me know where the similarity comes in the Arabu Naade song

11:38 AM, July 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home