Friday, December 19, 2008

Worst Superhits of all time

If you are a regular frequenter to Rediff, then this title might seem familiar. Basically, what they had done was to list out the movies which were huge box office hits but the movies themselves basically sucked. Gaddar, Devdas, were some in the list.

That immediately had me thinking "Why don't we do a post on the same topic about Tamil movies?" and this post is the result of the same. For this list, I have mostly come up with movies that were released roughly in the last decade or so. The reason why I did not dig deep into the movies that were released in 80s and 90s was that now years removed from their release date, we find most of them to be badly made. It is just a matter of us having moved on, that most of the superhits from those decades will suck when you watch it now save for some genuine gems like Mullum Malarum, Mahanadhi, Mani Rathnam's movies, etc.

Alright now over to the list.

Kushi - This was the movie after watching which I decided 'Alright I am not going to watch any more of his movies'. The songs of this movie were a raging hit back then and that was one of the reasons why I went to this movie. But the silly 'acting' by Vijay and Jyothika were all it required for me to add this movie to this list.

Vaanathai Pola - Any Vikraman directed superhit movie from those days can make it to this list. And this has to be one of the worse movies directed by him and I still could not digest the fact that the movie was a monstrous hit. I am never the one who walks out of a movie hall, no matter how bad they are. But this movie was an exception. Walked out during the interval and then had friends come over after watching the entire movie and say that I was lucky.

Suryavamsam - Another Vikraman directed super hit from the 90s. Devayani happened to be the one actress I detest the most. Add her to Sarath Kumar's awful looking artificial get-up and you get the perfect recipe for disaster. Though the songs from the movie were a big hit, the Rosappoo song was one of my least favorite songs back then and naturally, all of these reasons combined to make me add this movie to this list.

Anniyan - R E M O are 4 letters that helped this movie make it to the list. There were reasons aplenty why I hated the movie - the umpteen number of logical holes in the movies, Shankar's over indulgence at various places, espcially in the fight scenes and his stale old formula. But the Remo character easily took the cake as to why I consider this movie to be one of the worst superhits of the last decade.

Pokkiri - Well, the vow I took after watching Kushi was broken when one of my friends (who is a big time Vijay fan) compelled me to watch this movie. Here is the review I wrote after watching the movie. Plenty of reasons to add this movie to this list.

Chandramukhi - If not for Thalaivar, I am pretty sure this movie would not have even
run for 10 days. Vasu tortures us with some 3rd rate jokes, ridiculous logic and some 1980s acting. Still baffles me as to why this movie ran for that long.

Billa - I really can't think of any reason why this movie should have run. IMO, even the songs from this Yuvan - Vishnu combo movie were not their best. Ajith is just atrocious when it comes to oozing the style required for this role.

Dasavatharam - Well, the mental wounds from watching this movie haven't healed properly yet. Oh man, what a torture to sit through the 3 hours. Kamal's make-up and Asin were the top reasons why this movie sucked. Big time at that.

Honorable mentions: Ghajni, Thullaadha Manamum Thullum, Muthu, Godfather, Vettaiyaadu Velaiyaadu, Jayam, Ullam Kaetkkume

So, there goes my list. As always, invite your comments on any movie that you think should definitely find a place in the list.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

balaji gives the best movie reviews, although i dont agree what he wrote with the movie boys, but i consider him the best. You are the worst filbert, i dont know, dont ask me the reason why, your review sucks big time, how come sivaji was great & dasavatharam was bad for you.

3:42 AM, December 23, 2008  
Blogger Filbert said...

Reza, thanks for the compliment :) Will keep trying my best!!

12:33 PM, December 23, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Filby,
I would have included "kaadhalan" rather than "Anniyan".

I saw kaadhalan movie a few years after its release and was really wondering how did it fare well in the BO. I just could not stand it in the small screem.

Anniyan was also a torture but still better than kadhalan.

Subha

1:14 PM, January 13, 2009  
Blogger Filbert said...

Don't know about including Kaadhalan in this list, Subha, bcos it had one thing going for it very strongly - songs, whereas I can't think of anything similar for Anniyan.

Having said that, it has been a while since I saw Kaadhalan. Should check it out sometime to see how bad it really was. I know that Shankar was forced to do that movie to smear the then governor Chenna Reddy, by Kunjumon who held some big post in AIADMK Kerala.

9:38 AM, January 14, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home