Thursday, March 09, 2006

Its time for some introspection...

Now that I am back form my eventful & thoroughly memorable India trip, it is time for some retrospection and see how things went. As you see 2 posts below, I had set myself some "targets" to be achieved during my India trip. Trying to figure out how successful I was in quest of these targets.

5 - number of cities I want to visit

As expected this was one of the easy targets to achieve, as I overshot the target by a good margin. Bangalore, Chennai, Sivakasi, Tuticorin, Coimbatore, Sivakasi, Ooty, Namakkal, Paramakkudi were some of the cities that I visited during the trip.

10 - number of DVDs that I want to buy. I was able to achieve this target too.

Thanks to suggestions form folks like Suresh, I checked out MusicWorld & Landmark in Chennai and bought most of the DVDs that I was looking for. I bought a total of 11 DVDs - 5 in Tamil (Kannathil Muthamittaal, Johnny, Mugavari, Sethu & Panchathanthiram) and 6 in Hindi (Black, Dil Chahta Hai, Swades, Company, DDLJ and Iqbal). The DVDs were not too cheap and were costing anything between 300-600 Rs, depending on the movie. But none of the shops I visited had a very comprehensive collection of Tamil DVDs.

15 - number of Tamil/ Hindi movies I want to watch on big screen.

Like Sesh had suspected in his comments to the post, I knew this was highly unlikely but I still gave it a shot. And pursuing this target brought about the wrath of my mom who was really mad that I was spending so much time watching movies and that too just bcos I had made a vow to do so. But none of that deterred me from going to the movies. The way I managed to watch all these movies was to go to the second shows wherein I was still able to do all the things as planned during the day and still manage to watch all these movies. Though I could not achieve the target of 15 movies, I did manage to watch 9 movies on the big screen - Dishyum, RDB, Thambhi, Paramasivam, Kalaaba kaadhalan, Kalvanin Kaadhali, Sandaikozhi, Chithiram pesuthadi, Idhaya thirudan). Watching so many movies means I get a very good reason to write some new posts - reviews. So I will be writing some short reviews of all the movies, may be in a 3 part blog post.

25 - different restaurants that I want to eat during the trip.

This was again was so easy to achieve, like I had predicted. During my trips to the cities mentioned above, I was having food on all 3 occasions of the day at some hotel or the other and I was out of Madurai a good 12 days during my trip. So, the number of restaurants I tried out during my trip would have been close to 40, thus helping me achieve that target too. And I found out that Ponnusaamy is still my favorite restaurant in Chennai.

30 - friends to visit during this trip.

Another easy target to achieve since like I had said in my post, this trip was all about attending weddings & arranging a get-together. So, I got to meet all of my friends that I had planned (and some of them completely unplanned & coincidental) and the number easily tops the 30 I had set for myself.

1000 - pictures that I intend to take in my digital camera.

Friends who saw me during the trip commented that I looked like Kamal from the movie Tic Tic Tic, with the camera always in my hand. That should give you an idea about if I was able to meet the target or not. Everywhere I went my camera went along with me and so meeting the target of 1000 pictures during the trip turned out to be a cakewalk. The final tally of pictures I shot was well over 1200

2000 - kilometers that I want to drive our car.

This was one target which I realized the moment I landed on Indian roads that this was going to be next to impossible. It should come as no surprise since traffic and the driving sense on our roads back there is probably the first thing that every desi complains about life over there. The experiences while driving on our roads were so much that I will have to post a separate entry about my driving experiences back in India. Anyway, I did drive our car on couple of my trips to Tuticorin and Paramakkudi. So, I probably drove close to 500-600 kilometers. But it is easily possible that I would have rode my two-wheeler to the tune of the same 500-600 kms.

5 Comments:

Blogger Preethi said...

Good, I was eagerly waiting for this post...and looks like U were able to achieve most of ur targets. Good for you! I feel sorry for U for only 1 thing...some movies U watched on Big screen. Movies like Paramasivan, Thambi, Idhaya Thirudan, Kalvanin Kadhali, etc...I could not stand them watching on my laptop, I wonder how U sat thru' them in a theatre. I was happy to see that U visited Coimbatore. Enunge, enge ooru eppadi irukudhunge?

11:50 AM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Unga ooru romba nallaa irundhadhunga, Preethi :) I have a very interesting incident to narrate about Cbe, which I will do in another post...

4:29 PM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Sesh,
I tried my hand at all kinds of restaurants, right from the ones where a lunch cost 10 Rs to a restaurant where it costs close to 400 Rs :)

4:30 PM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Balaji said...

waiting for those short reviews. Curious about what u thot about 1 of the Tamil movies in that list. IMO, it was a very pleasant surprise and possibly the best movie of the year so far :)

9:11 AM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Filbert said...

Balaji,
I am guessing one movie, which I too thought was the best movie in Tamil this year. Anyway, let me reveal it in my review :)

1:36 PM, March 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home