Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Best albums series - A.R.R.

Have been pretty busy lately and so blogging has taken a backseat. Twitter is where I am spending most of my time these days. You can follow me in twitter here (ellaam oru vilambaram :) )

Anyway, this series is something I had thought about more than 2 years ago. As the title of the post says, this series is about what we all feel as the best album of each music director in Tamil. Towards that, I will list what I consider the top 5 albums of that MD and also, name another 5 albums that I considered (or in other words, honorary mention) and finally THE best album of that MD. Since this series is only for music directors in Tamil, I am only considering their Tamil albums, though some of them like in ARR, have done lot of work outside of the Tamil film industry. After that it is all yours as I would like to know what you guys feel about the list & eventually the best album of that director.

I was thinking that may be I should do this for the 4 leading MDs in tamil film music right now - Yuvan, Harris Jeyaraj, ARR, VidyaSagar. I had to leave out Mottai out of this whole equation bcos IMHO, it is just not possible to even go about listing the Top 50 albums of the Maestro. May be, I can do The Top 5 albums of the Maestro in every decade, from the 1970s to the 2000s. But thats for another day and time.

So, I am starting with this Rahman here (you know, him being the flavor of this season & all) and planning to post 1 entry of this series every week. So, here goes my top 5 albums for ARR.

Thiruda Thiruda
Rhythm
Kandukondein Kandukondein
Duet
Alaipayudhe

Other albums that I considered were:

Kaadhalan
Roja
Iruvar
En Swaasa Kaattrae
Minsara Kanavu

His best album - Thiruda Thiruda

Reasons for ranking Thiruda Thiruda as his best - even during those days when his genre of music was already popular, he kind of broke fresh ground with this album and the one expression everyone had on hearing the songs of this album - stunned. Among the 5, it was kind of a close fight between Duet & Thiruda Thiruda but finally had to give it to TT for the above said reason. Every song in the album was/ is a gem and Rahman showed a wide range in that album. From Chandralekha to Raaasaathi, this was one complete album from Rahman in every sense. 15 years removed from the date of the album's release, this album sounds as fresh as it sounded back then. That, in itself is a true testimony to the quality of the album.

So, what will be your choices for the top 5 albums and also, for his best album to-date? Let me know.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Reza said...

Not single appreciation about the oscar award won by ARR. Just shows show jealous about ARR. The whole world raves about his achivement & you (what a shame).

2:19 AM, April 07, 2009  
Blogger James said...

I think Pudhiya Mugam also should have been in your consideration set :)

2:30 AM, April 07, 2009  
Blogger Filbert said...

Pudhiya Mugam is an album that I have a very high regard for but not sure which one in my list I could dispense with for including Pudhiya Mugam :) Tells a lot about ARR's amazingly high consistency when it comes to all the songs in an album being very good

1:00 PM, April 07, 2009  
Anonymous AnRb said...

ditto Rezo !!

9:38 AM, April 28, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My picks for top 5

1)Duet
2)Kaadhalan
3)Kandu kondein *2
4)Alaipayudhey
5)Indian

Honorary
1)Pudhiya mugham
2)Love birds
3)Iruvar
4)Roja
5)Rhythm


Best Album - Duet...
Hadnt heard TT for years.Hence cant comment. But it was definitely ahead of its times.

Post other series also.. eagerly awaiting..

3:26 AM, July 30, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home