Friday, August 28, 2009

Yuvan's worst rendition - Your pick

Twitter is taking up most of my free time and so it has become a rarity for me to post something here. But I really do not want this blog to die a slow death. So, trying my best to make sure that it does not happen.

Though I am a big fan of Yuvan, folks who read my posts & tweets know how much I hate him for spoiling some of the really good tunes that he composes. Every time, I listen to the Yedhedho song from Pattiyal, that is what comes to my mind: Why Yuvan, why? While I was listening to that song last night, the idea for this poll popped up and so here it is. Needless to say, the Edhedho song is my pick for the song where he killed the song with his awful singing (if you can call it that). One tip as you vote is: don't just give weightage to how badly Yuvan has sung but equal consideration should be given to how good the song is and how good it would have sounded with somebody else crooning for it.
Here's looking forward to your votes and also hoping that my next post here would be a lot sooner than the gap between this & my last post.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous MrJudge said...

Filbert,

I don't think anyone can satisfy all the people. :) I like Yuvan's singing. Any seasoned singer would have spoilt Innum or Iravu for sure.

BTW, have you listened to Yogi, another solid soundtrack from Yuvan. The album has one track by Yuvan. I can see your listing growing :)

You can get all the latest news about Yuvan and his music @ http://yuvan.freeforums.org Visit when you have time.

2:41 AM, September 17, 2009  
Blogger Filbert said...

No MrJudge, its not like I hate his voice. I do like songs like 'Ore naalil' or his bit in 'Eno kangal' song. His voice is definitely unique and I love it, but only when he does not spoil the beauty of the song.

My grouse has mainly got to do with the fact that this guy can churn out such amazing tunes, in such a short span of time (going by the number of albums he does in a year) but spoils some of the same very good songs by singing it.

Did listen to Yogi and I agree with your comment - a solid album. And yes, I did not like his singing in the 'Yaarodu yaaro' song, which otherwise is such a beautifully crafted song. Loved all the other songs though, including Seermeyum koovathila :)

And I do visit the Yuvan forum whose link you had given. But just finding myself lazy to register and post there frequently. Should do it sometime soon.

BTW, what song did you vote for? :)

12:26 PM, September 17, 2009  
Anonymous MrJudge said...

Oh..OK. I understand your point.

Even Ameer doesn't want to have Yuvan's voice in his albums, he openly admitted it. They tried with many professional singers for 'Yaaro' (from Yogi) but no one elevated it like Yuvan did, so they retained Yuvan's voice.

Actually I didn't vote for any song before but I voted now....my pick was 'Odi vaa' from AIBI. All other songs are my favorites, so I went for this track. :)

7:56 PM, September 17, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hated both Yuvan's and Adnan's version of 'oru kal oru kannadi'... sadly, what great lines to begin a song. Too bad.

I can outrightly say, Yuvan singing, has made me realize that even with a horrible voice, IR at least made an attempt to sing right. Yuvan sounds like he is constipated most of the time.

Give singing a rest. There are enough young singers who can make these songs sound great. But then, nobody is beyond vanity. I am sure every music director wants to hear his voice in his songs. Especially really good ones. Another awful voice, but trained, is Keeravani in Telugu. Have suffered through many a beautiful song, wondering why SPB, Mano or some other singers didn't get the chance to sing it.

-kajan

9:52 PM, September 23, 2009  
Blogger Filbert said...

Kajan,

Agree with 'Oru Kal Oru Kannaadi' song as well. Adnan's version wasn't better either. Sometimes, I think, singer selection is what is letting him down so badly these days. Case in point, 'Oru devadhai' song from Vamanan.

And yes, you are exactly right about the bounty of singers available these days. I really cant understand how a guy who composes such beautiful tunes also decides to spoil it by singing the same.

10:31 AM, October 03, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home